dilemma- Keeping current vs replacing

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kid Red
10+ year member

I can't seem to make up my mind and I'm looking for some opinions. Bare with me for a few please //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I currently have a TC10 OEM powered by a Sundown 1000d and Cadence CWM components feed by a Sundownz 100.2.

The TC10 needs at least 800w but is a D4 so I can only get 600w from the Sundown. It sounds so good but I have the Sundown's gain set high and the sub only slightly gets moving. It's in a .75 exclosure I believe, and I takes up too much trunk space. I want to put it in a FG enclosure but it's such a large woofer I don't think I'd have much clearance to work with (keeping the spare tire floor free to open) I want the entire floor of the trunk clear and free.

The 100.2 has a 75hz crossover and I'd like to get a little more from my fronts, 50hz-65hz or so for a little extra presence. Lastly, there is the issue with mounting/installing these in a clean, presentable manner. Currently, the amps are installed on the back seat and that is temporary until I got the amps mounted on an amp rack. However, the two amps are just too big to keep out of the trunk main space so the seat back was the only thing I could think of temporarily. I want the amps under the deck or on one side of the trunk, together in an amp rack. I can't do that with these amps without having one on the side and one on the deck.

So I was thinking about a few options.

-

If I keep the TC10, and barely fit a FG box in the side pocket, I'd need a 800W+ @ 4 ohm amp at least. The PDX 1.1000 was my first thought for output and size. Then I could match with a PDX 150.2 or 150.4 if I ever get brave enough to go active.

-I get an IDQ10 or 12 D4 which is less 6" deep and mount it effortlessly, and the keep the sundown which will be unfortunately be difficult to mount/hide cleanly.

-I get an IDQ10 or 12 which is 6" less deep and mount it fine, and the PDX amps which are small (PDX 1.600 & 150.2) which could go anywhere due to size. If yes on the IDQ, but no on the PDX, then I need to know what DVC to get to match whatever amp.

-I also have an Alpine MPF250, that I could run my fronts, and then get the Alpine M1000 to run the IDQ D4 assuming I can wire it to stay at 4ohm or for the TC10? I'd have to mount these separately, but this is my cheapest option. Or get a IDQ D4 and get the Alpine M500?

So, I don't know what to do. If I keep the TC10, I need more power. If I move down to a 500-600w sub that is less than 6" deep, I believe I'd need a D4 to only get 600w from the Sundownz which still leaves me wondering where the amps go.

Ideally, I get the IDQ12 and PDX 1.600 and PDX 4.150 for the fronts. But the TC10 is sooo sexy, and such a smooth deep bass sub that I'd hate to replace it and be disappointed. Plus, there might be better SQ-that-get-low-subs that are less than 6" deep and I am just ignorant to those options. Sub enclosure would be ballpark .85 or so sealed.

Budget is within reason, $250 or so for the sub, and $300-$550 or so per amp where size is very important. I really want smaller amps, the JL HD series is intriguing, just at the rich end of the scale.

I hope no one feels I owe them 5 minutes of their life back after reading this long winded inquiry, but I'd like to hear a few opinions more experienced than mine. I want smaller amps and a more shallow sub for easier mount. However, I don't want to do it if I will lose anything based on what I currently have. (Please forgive me if I screwed up any ohm or wattage ratings, etc, I don't claim to be very audio versed)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.