Digital Optical outputs, where are they?

stones
10+ year member

Sask
I'm curious as to why the car audio industry hasn't taken advantage Digital optical interconnects?. Home theater systems have been using them for years and the technology is not that expensive.

Wouldn't Optical interconnects be far superior to conventional RCA's?, zero noise, perfect signal transfer.

If a company were to start using Digital Optical interconnects on their HU's and amplifiers I would easily pay an extra 100 bucks for it.

Your thoughts people.

Drinkin under a rock in the great white north.

Whichs one are those and is what amps can use them?.

Good to know, thanks:)

So I figure if I wait a few years this tech should trickle down to the cheaper stuff, that would be nice.

Wouldn't Optical interconnects be far superior to conventional RCA's?, zero noise, perfect signal transfer.

IIRC, digital co-axial is typically a better option over optical for long runs, such as those that would be typical in a car. That's trying to go from memory though.

Quite a few headunits have them, and if you use a carputer there are inexpensive soundcards with S/PDIF (or other opticals);

I'd gamble that rather than look for an amplifier with a female optical connect, your time/money is better spent grabbing a processor with one. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

your time/money is better spent grabbing a processor with one. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Alpine H701 has 3 Toslink inputs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

Ideally I would like to see a company replace RCA's completely on their HU's and amps so instead of pluging in RCA's you plug in Digital optical cables.

But this raises more questions.

Since the signal is now a fully digital flashing beam of light is clipping of the signal at the HU still possible?

Does the amplifier still need an input sensitivity adjustment since signal voltage is no longer an issue?.

I think part of the reason that you don't see more optical in a car is because there can be problems with sharp bends, or with cables getting pinched under panels. I think the reason that we primarily see them only on rare and high end equipment is because the only people that will be using it are the ones that know how to.

Ideally I would like to see a company replace RCA's completely on their HU's and amps so instead of pluging in RCA's you plug in Digital optical cables.
But this raises more questions.

Since the signal is now a fully digital flashing beam of light is clipping of the signal at the HU still possible?

Does the amplifier still need an input sensitivity adjustment since signal voltage is no longer an issue?.
The other issue with optics is a clean environment , optics dont like dirt

Pioneer ODR is a complete Optical digital system. Been around for years. Still bad ass.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You're correct. You're going to be hard pressed to find an optical wire >2m
The P9 combo is designed to be able to mount the DEQ processor in the trunk. Therefore this would be the exception to that rule.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.