Difference in 8 layer versus 4 layer wound VC?

i'm pretty sure there's a trade-off somewhere for better power handling. Perhaps in term of sensitivity or mayb not. I'm no expert.
Well a larger VC with more windings/layers is going to equal more mms, meaning less efficiency, thus needing more power to get to a certain level of loudness.

it adds to the weight of the whole moving assembly. making low end stronger and sacrificing the top end and sensitivity. but it does up the power handling. it's all a compromise. i'll take efficiency over power handling any day.

it adds to the weight of the whole moving assembly. making low end stronger and sacrificing the top end and sensitivity. but it does up the power handling. it's all a compromise. i'll take efficiency over power handling any day.
Build an SPL rig that only burps at or very near enclosure tuning. Then power handling becomes much more important. but yes, for a daily system efficiency is more important.

Build an SPL rig that only burps at or very near enclosure tuning. Then power handling becomes much more important. but yes, for a daily system efficiency is more important.
true... true....

i'm going for Daily, mostly SQ.

i'd take power handling just to be "yo mang, my shiz so powerful it'll take 5,000watts" and that's when all the noobs will be worshipping me. Tho i'd prefer if they were bishes tho. But some noobs do act like bishes

They are correct about loss of efficiency . but lets say IF that weren't true you can't judge the power handling off layers alone. For one you have coil width . You have different thicknesses of voice coil winding. Different materials. Different cooling on subs. voice coil height. ( ALL I am saying is you can not choose your subs based on voice coil windings alone ) for example. Just cause sub A has 8 layers and sub B has 4 layers . honestly with taking nothing else into consideration sub A might only handle 500 watts . and sub B even only with 4 layers might handle 2000 watts (while being more efficient in most cases)

Efficiency with a 4 layer vs 8 layer out of the same materials is a moot point at best..

Your not going to ride around with 1 watt on the woofer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

Now a 8 layer 54mm long 22awg round wire copper coil is a HEAVY coil...

A 8layer 54mm long coil with 16awg flatwire weighs less then half of that coil...

But which would be more 'efficient?' //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

Efficiency with a 4 layer vs 8 layer out of the same materials is a moot point at best..
Your not going to ride around with 1 watt on the woofer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

Now a 8 layer 54mm long 22awg round wire copper coil is a HEAVY coil...

A 8layer 54mm long coil with 16awg flatwire weighs less then half of that coil...

But which would be more 'efficient?' //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.
In the same gap the round wire coil will have a higher BL and a higher sensitivity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...