difference between running at 2 ohm vs 1 ohm?

99grandprixGT
5,000+ posts

now got an 04 grand prix
home
i know the difference as with the power it will put out will be more at 1 ohm. but i mean will the amp have to work harder to run at 1 ohm vs 2 ohm? is it fine as long as the amp is 1 ohm stable? does it take more power from my electrical system to run at 1 ohm vs 2 ohm? the reason I'm asking is because i want to get a HIFONICS BXi1606D, with 2 type R's but i don't want to run it at 2 ohm because that will only give them less than 1000 since the amp is more than likely over rated. so I'm thinking if i get the dual 4 ohm version of the subs i can run it to a 1 ohm load, and get 1000 watts plus. im either think to get that amp and the dual 4 ohm or just getting the dual 2 ohm and getting a better amp like the kicker kx 1000.1 which will actually put out 1000+watts. sorry for the stupid questions. thanks in advanced.

Decreasing impedance will make the amp work harder, this is why the amp will heat up faster (and waste energy). It's fine to run at 1 ohm if the amp is stable at that impedance.

actually the higher the impedance the harder the amp works. think of electricity as flowing water. electricity doing work produces heat and if you lower resistance more electrical flow occurs which produces more heat. yes one ohm will give more power even on an amp thats not one ohm stable. the only difference is that a one ohm stable amp is designed with beefier guts and the extra heat does not trigger the protection circuit or damage the amp. the amps protection circuit may also perceive the extra flow of power and a short circuit or voltage problem and again shutoff the amp. remember think flowing water. this is why bigger gauge power cable speaker cable blah blah blah is always preferred, its like a fatter water hose, you can put more through it with less effort. no it will not take more power from your car. i bet you'll notice that your lights will dim in your car running at higher impedance and will remain more constant the lower you bring the resistance. its just physics. really dorky stuff but helps big time when messing with car stereo

actually the higher the impedance the harder the amp works. think of electricity as flowing water. electricity doing work produces heat and if you lower resistance more electrical flow occurs which produces more heat. yes one ohm will give more power even on an amp thats not one ohm stable. the only difference is that a one ohm stable amp is designed with beefier guts and the extra heat does not trigger the protection circuit or damage the amp. the amps protection circuit may also perceive the extra flow of power and a short circuit or voltage problem and again shutoff the amp. remember think flowing water. this is why bigger gauge power cable speaker cable blah blah blah is always preferred, its like a fatter water hose, you can put more through it with less effort. no it will not take more power from your car. i bet you'll notice that your lights will dim in your car running at higher impedance and will remain more constant the lower you bring the resistance. its just physics. really dorky stuff but helps big time when messing with car stereo

interesting.......

This is true when it comes to class A/B amps but when it comes to class D it does not apply unless going into loads not designed for. A class D is designed to run at a predetermined minimum load and running it higher does not result in a lower THD rating, this is due to the dirty power( so to speak) provided by a class D amplifier. Some class D's run 1% THD not even noticeable with a class D sub amp but now try 1% with a class A/B, highly noticeable, all frequency orientated... Polo //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

1 ohm or two ohm makes absolutely no difference, it simply depends on what load the amplifier was designed for, what the amp circuits were optimized for. Everything else being equal, an amp built for and running in 1 - ohm will behave exactly the same as an amp designed for and running in 2 - ohms.

If there was one optimum ohm load for for all amps to be run at, all amps would be built the same.

Simply buy an amp that is optimized for the load you will run it in - or the reverse - chose your speaker ohm load to fit the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.