Difference between budget and high end amps

nstillmatic
10+ year member

I know that most of the cheap amps do not do rated power. However, some of the budget amps like Cadence (from what I've read) actually do rated power. So whats the difference between buying say a 500w rms monoblock from Cadence and something like a JL Slash 500/1 (or insert any good amp manufacturer)?

The biggest thing I assume is whether or not it does rated power, but then whats the reason for that huge price gap for those that do? If 2 amps legitimately put out the same amount of power would they not sound the same, or is there something I'm missing...

the difference is build quality, durability, the ability to put out more than rated power, thd and efficiency, to name a few,

but when you start throwing some "big" brands in there then you start getting into marketing and in some cases end up paying for the name.

According to Richard Clark, all amps sound the exact same.
Lol...what a joke. I'm going all Rockwood and Pyle on my next buildlog
um that is taking it out of context, it is not that simple nor did RC say all amps sound the exact same.

According to Richard Clark, all amps sound the exact same.
Lol...what a joke. I'm going all Rockwood and Pyle on my next buildlog

Thats why his multi award winning Speakerworks Grand National used expensive hand made Japanese Alpine amps, right?

rofl.gif

Eveyone is bashing this one guy and saying amps aren't the same.. Shed some light on why some are better than others and what makes them better.

I used to have a "1000" watt Pyramid Studio amp in my house except it only did 150 watts before running into clipping, which is distortion.

The difference between a Pyramid to a Sundown is huge. Sundown is not a "name brand" like the **** on Pimp My Ride so you're not paying for its name... it has more flexible crossovers, better input/output terminals, quality control and ability to run low impedance for extended period of time.

A more expensive amp tends to have better protection circuit, better layout on the circuit board and may include capacitors that are rated to higher temperature, matched transistors and tighter tolerance for its parts.

Zapco is way up there in terms of a quality amp but it'll hurt the wallet too.

Eveyone is bashing this one guy and saying amps aren't the same.. Shed some light on why some are better than others and what makes them better.
there was a night a day difference when i swapped out a ap 2004 for a jbl gts 150, the 150 was much more crisp clean and loud,

just one of the examples that i have seen.

there was a night a day difference when i swapped out a ap 2004 for a jbl gts 150, the 150 was much more crisp clean and loud,
just one of the examples that i have seen.

Did you do a straight swap or did you retuned the gain and crossover after install? Some amps are less sensitive than others but yeah Audiopipe isn't really known for SQ, more like GIMME WATTS FOR MAH DOLLA HOLLA

Did you do a straight swap or did you retuned the gain and crossover after install? Some amps are less sensitive than others but yeah Audiopipe isn't really known for SQ, more like GIMME WATTS FOR MAH DOLLA HOLLA
it was a straight swap.

and i know its not know for sq. that was just an easy example for miker.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.