Difference between adire tempest and adire maelstrom

smokeandride
10+ year member

florida
The adire tempest is 150.00

The adire maelstrom is 300.00

I was wondering if I should get one maelstrom or one tempest

or even two tempests.....

I would like to know how many dbs each one can achieve. I read with 500 watts a maelstrom can push out 148 dbs! So how many dbs will a tempest put out. Im pretty sure the maelstrom has better spl but hows the sq. and hows the tempest sound compared to its bigger brother?

Please tell me the better option and why, i been researching subs for quite awhile and am close to buying....

About 3"...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Seriously, for car audio, I'd look at the Tempest. It rocks really well in car, and Black00 (Marshall) broke 150 with a single Tempest and 500W in his truck.

Maelstroms are behemoths, do just a bit better than a Tempest, but if you're willing to bump up in price to a Maelstrom I'd consider a Brahma 12.

Maelstroms are the natural choice for large, high efficiency home or pro-sound installations, where you need that efficiency, can handle a large box to use the efficiency, and want true subwoofer extension and output.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

thank you dan, appreciate the reply..... one more question, where can I get the best buy for a tempest?
Most of our dealers sell our products for about the same price. The MSRP is a "true" price, not one that's artificially inflated only to get cut down from like most companies (I never understood pricing your product at $250, only to have everyone discount it to $150; that's not a $250 driver, that's a $150 driver!). Any of our dealers could probably help you out.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

150 with just one tempest n 500 watts?what mic?
Matador,

It was Black00 (Marshall Joyner of Visionary Audio), and I believe it was the LinearX. Note that he also just took 2nd place at MECA world finals inMR3, with a 149.9 dB with 3 Tempests, 1000W total (real world, not cheater power), and at 30 Hz - at the head rest. Figure mid-upper 150s at the windshield.

I believe he also holds the TN state MR3 record at 150.3 dB, with the same setup.

Marshall knows how to get Tempests loud...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

im going to start off with just one tempest....... one will be plenty quake to start off with. then i eventually want 3 also.

Marshall would probably be the best person to ask installation questions but Dan a single ported box 500 watts tuned to 30 hz?

also I have an 86 pontiac grand prix with massive trunk

3 tempest ok. someone said with 1 tempest, so i was wondering bout that. dont think u can hit 150db w just 1 15'' w like 400rms, or at least i m pretty sure that u can't

He did it earlier (not at the head rest) with a single Tempest, too... I believe it was a 152.3 dB.

Note that 150 at the head rest would put you mid-upper 150s at the dash.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

wow...the single tempest ...that started all of this... been awhile since sombody actually brought all this up again....

Long time ago this dumbass took a tempest and did a lil research and built a box and was invited to competition....this is what happend.

Slight corrections..

FLOOR BOARD SPL

Single Tempest in the now infamous "magic box" 500w in a USACI Show that was published on their site back then for records... 152.3db on usaci's Audio Control the amp was a phoenix gold XS2500= 500w bridged at 4ohm. (Jimmy Patterson was in attendance = Memphis Audio's USACI Grudge Match Champion that year, I demolished his teamate with it)

Several people wanted to dispute it then too ...omg...i think this was 2000 or so well before i got sponsored...back then..it was almost unheard of to do a number like that with that little power...backed it up on more than one occasion... the numbers were consistantly published on soundoff.org back then...and several people including "bigbassman" and "jlaine" can attest to the validity as they also saw signed score sheets from the events...this has been what.... 3 years ago now?...something like that....maybe more now...

FLOOR BOARD SPL

Took the maelstrom into competition with the same amp.... the design of the box was its hinder..(my fault) ....it yeilded 148.8 at best ... not the subs fault at all..i built the box...so its my fault... Audio Control again...

Defected from USACI cause the rules ****....went to MECA...

All scores now on LINEARX

FLOOR BOARD SPL

Single Brahma 15 and 800w total... 150.5db for the TN state championship in 2002...

150.0 at World Finals on the world record meter for 2nd place.

REALITY HEAD REST SPL

trio of tempests.... tuned to 33hz

Burping 40hz

1000 total watts...

150.3 db for the TN state record.

149.9 db for 2nd at world finals...

Just to give you an idea of how difficult that is...

All 3 of us used Three 15's and a 1200w MaX wattage limit

first place Won by 4 tenths of a db..(.4) and destroyed his #2 sub in the process. And was a 4th order band pass that could not play music

3rd place was 2db+ behind. *cough-kicker L7 truck-cough cough*

I took 2nd place and can play music full tilt allllll....dayyyyyy....loooong.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif and i only gave up point 4 to a 4th order bandpass?...who happend to be one of the best competitors in the league....I can take that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Anyway...many people on SI.net will remember it well if you care to ask them about it.

First of all...**** i havent posted here forever LOL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Anyways - I will vouch for marshall, his truck is no joke....it is very stupidly loud...with little power

Dont think like a dBdragger (no offence here) you can get very loud with very little power....it's all about the install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I still wonder why that guy turned white when you mentioned them checking the amps the second day....

that 2dB dissappeard again, after he came back an hour later

:cough: cheater :cough:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.