Difference Between 2ohm and 4ohm

gdlkn007
10+ year member

I'm planning on getting a Fosgate hx2 12". Should I get the 2ohm or 4ohm version. I will need a 2ohm amp to run the 2ohm version right? Whats the difference between the 2ohm and 4ohm version when you listen to them? Your help is greatly appreciated guys.

there is no difference in sound, its their impedance and you need to match it up correctly to your amp or you won't get the performance you want. go here, it'll help http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html

theres single voice coils and dual. with single yes you can get a 2ohm sub and run it with an amp at 2ohm (of course make sure its 2ohm stable). but with dual vc's, things get a lil tricky. dual vc's were made for more flexibility when running more than 1 sub. so it matters how many you'll be using. get whichever one will match up well with your amp, find one that will run at the impedance that gives the RMS of your sub (or whatever power you're wanting to run, less if you don't think you need it or more for overhead). not all amps are the same either, some give full power at 4ohm, some at 2ohm and so on.

tell us exactly what you're thinking of using in your setup and I'm sure we can help you out more.

I was thinking of using one Fosgate Punch HX2 RFD 2210 Dual Voice Coil, 500W RMS, 1000W Peak, @ 4ohms. And using a Fosgate Power 550s amp which is 550W RMS @ 4ohms Bridged. Thanks for the all the help so far guys.

ya like I said its very crucial to match these up right. if not and you got those 2, as Jmac pointed out, you wouldn't be able to run at 4ohm which is where it makes its most power. so go for the dual 2ohm rockford sub.

if yer intent on using the dual 4ohm, find an amp that puts out 500+WRMS at 2ohm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.