Did I do this right?

Participant count
  • Participant list

LongThrow

My Kickers be swaggin'
TL;DR = 500w amp - 500 x 2 ohm = 1000, square root of 1000 = 31.62v. I Set my gains accordingly playing a 40hz test tone. Volume 28/35 (I believe this is where i clip) I set the gain to around 2.5-3v which reads 31.62v with my multimeter. Is this correct?

So, I'm getting back into trying to upgrade my system, piece my by piece. Currently have two kicker comps (please dont hate on me) 4 ohm, 150 watts to each speaker - wired to a 2 ohm final impendance, obv making it 300w to each speaker.

Using a kicker 500.1 at 2 ohms, the benchmark test sheet that came with the amplifier said it can max out 562w under perfect conditions. So i figured 500w would be a good round out.

Since I'm lacking about 50w to each speaker, (500w amp divided into two speakers, 250w to each speaker.) I figured the gain may need to be just a itty bitty bit lower than what my equation gave me ;31.62. So i set it to around 29-30v to be sure I'm not clipping. I have bass boost on amp centered 40hz, at about 3db increase, not enough to make the amp clip. Just a small freq boost. Headunit eq set to flat, sub level to max. 500w amp x the 2 ohm final impendance = 1000, square root of 1000 is 31.62v. I set my gains at around 30v, volume at 28/35 which is where I believe right before I clip, playing a 40hz test tone.

Is this correct??

you're right, and on the right track. However, setting your gain with a DMM is going to likely leave some power on the table, and only works if you know the actual output of the amp is rated properly - in your case it is, kicker amps aren't bad.

without an oscope, clipping indicator, or distortion meter you wont be able to set the amp 100% accurately, so the best method is to use your ears and then i liked to verify i was in the right range by checking my voltage, if it was exceedingly high i would assume it was clipped and exceedingly low i must of set the gain wrong.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.