Diagnosing broken subwoofer

Utp9

CarAudio.com Newbie
Nov 11, 2019
Finland
Not sure if this is this is the correct place to post, if not please direct me to the correct place.

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased my first subwoofer set off my local classifieds for 85€: Boston 12.5fl+Boston gt-28+20f hybrid cap.

I got everything installed and going great and I bridged the channels to mono, as the amp is rated at 1350w max and sub 1200w, I thought it'd be fine.

However, because I wasn't thinking I put all the bass settings to maximum and turned the volume pretty high and put a heavy song on.

What happened after is that the sub started to rattle as you can hear:
and made a pretty big stink.

It plays up to 50-55% before the rattle starts, so it's not "completely" ruined.

Just wondering, since nothing is visually wrong with the cone, what component(s) is damaged and would it be possible to fix?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Well darn, anyone know where I could get a recone kit? Or, what's a modern equivalent of this sub?

Last edited:

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
Al
You melted the voice coil. Unless you can find a recone, it’s new subwoofer time.

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
Set your gains correctly and ditch using bass boost altogether. This will keep happening otherwise. Bass boost is a novelty for people who don’t understand how amplified power works. Set your gains with bass boost off on the amp and the head unit.

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Yep it's done for. Time for another new sib, and learn to set gain correctly. Look on youtube for some vids on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds