DHD Power Cruiser NTX-3107 review

Participant count
  • Participant list

Falkor

DHD Power Cruiser NTX-3107

My personal review of this dates back 15 years (stardate -321842.69406392693) Aka~ 1999.

I needed bass in my life, saved up for subs and heard of a fair-grounds super sale at the Tacoma Dome stereo show. The comicon of car stereo parts at black market prices, and as such, would never be able to get a refund. Discounts are passed down to the brave who buy em. A fair-grounds super sale. Knowing I needed 15" subs for that low presence only large cones can provide vs. the most powerful amp $200.oo could afford.

Skimming through all the specifications on as many boxes that I could read was tedious until i found this amp and it's (low) distortion rate (supposedly) at >.05% peaking my interest.

Pro's and Con's

The circuit board travels the entire length of the shell, and not a facade

. It's heavy +1=1

The box was wax coated, with grammatically incorrect manuals, a remote control with two L.E.D.'s, a warranty card from DHD in SoCal, and the huge metal amplifier that resembles the Alpine's MRD-M1000 (which is similar to orions unregulated pop-tops) benefited with removable top plates for dynamic controls. The DHD lacked the controls, but the stats were identical. It's not ugly (far from it), but maybe this is why it's so inexpensive. Copys the Alpine designs.

. appearance 0 = 1

. Aside from the only other (loosely named) 'defect' I can report is the center blue light which has never worked as it does on Alpines,

- advertising truth 0 = 1

I've run this amplifier in a rusty old 81 Datsun wagon (with literal rust holes in the hatch back, covered w/duct tape until i fiberglassed it sealed), then into a 89 BMW (leaky) cabrio 325i, and then into a 88 BMW 325i (dry) sedan, in the Seattle area where it rains everyday. Throughout 15ish years of artistic abuse, this amp still works perfectly. I've seen my DHD with moisture diamonds frozen to it and a puddle of water in the trunk spare tire well, and smashed everything that went into the trunks of those cars. It's very well made and durable.

- water/moisture-Proof +5 = 6

15ish years and a million miles minimum distance,

pushed two Phoenix Gold 15" DVC 8/2ohm so hard I had to sell one and turn it back to a single woofer design. Yes I have earplugs in my car, but don't usually turn it up past 20% which may contribute to its longevity.

- runtime uninterupted 99% +1 = 7

. I paid just under $200 for (at least) 300w RMS

- value +1 = 8

. Low and Hi pass filters, two bridgable channels and possibly unregulated to boot all work

- features + 1 = 9

. Not having a trained ear, I hear and feel great subsonic tones that flow through everything within 500 ft out to a mile or more on some nights. Both amp and speaker have outlived cars, one crash, wetlands, beaches, humidity and ice Hasn't ever become hot on long roadtrips. No clipping or anything aside from being a workhorse. Even though I have seen it go into protection mode (when a wire gound out on accident) the red light on the remote kicked on. When the short was corrected, the light turned to green, and music began again.

. The Remote has one red and one green light with a dial. The green is too bright, and can be annoying at night (reflecting off of the windshield) since it's always on. I put a pin hole through a strip of elec tape which still allowed a strong red/green indicator that all was good (or .01% bad).

The remote is a great feature and better than most. Which is why it gets another point.

- remote + 1 = 10

not one single terminal has been stripped or even chipped its gold* plating. I also have cheap tools, so understand that only the best screws can survive even a few re-uses with me. This amp has survived it all and everytime I hear a new song I like, it's always better in the car.

. Being built to hard filter exactly at 27hz isn't a mistake either, and this amps stats show it's tunable to cuttoff exactly where our human limitations begin. This amp protects the woofer from wasted signals, and is highly efficient.

CLAIMED FACTS:

2 Ohm Capable

Wired Bass Remote

Built-in Subsonic Filter: Fixed at 27Hz

Preamp Line-Out (RCA)

Gold Plated RCA Jacks

Low & High Level Input

Gain Control

Power Indicator

Variable Bass Boost: 0-18dB

Variable Low Pass Filter: 30Hz - 500Hz

Variable High Pass Filter: 50Hz - 1,000Hz

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >95dB

Frequency Response: 10Hz - 35,000Hz

Adustable Sensitvity Range: 200mV - 6V

Dimensions: 9.9"W x 2.165"H x 17.72"L

Power Specifications - Full Range Channels

RMS Power 4 ohms

250 watts x 2 channels

RMS Power 2 ohms

350 watts x 2 channels

RMS Power 1 ohm

Not Stable

Bridged RMS Power

700 watts

Power Specifications - Subwoofer Channel

RMS Power 4 ohms

RMS Power 2 ohms

RMS Power 1 ohm

Power Specifications - Full Range Channels

Peak Power 4 ohms

Peak Power 2 ohms

Peak Power 1 ohm

Bridged Peak/Max Power

Power Specifications - Subwoofer Channel

Peak Power 4 ohm

Peak Power 2 ohms

Peak Power 1 ohm

Amplifier Specifications

Amplifier Series

Amplifier Class

Number of Channels

Total Peak Power Output

Total RMS Power Output

700 watts

Maximum Input Gauge Size

Minimum Impedance Unbridged

2 ohms

Minimum Impedance Bridged

4 ohms

THD at Rated RMS Power

0.05%

Speaker Level Inputs

No

Preamp Outputs

Yes

Summary: If I found another one, I would buy or recommend this without hesitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Falkor

Falkor
Redmond, WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views