• Participant list

LosIsATool
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
SS4A | DD Audio

MSRP- $699

Cost- $470

Rated 160 x 4 at 4ohm

PASMAG review showed it doing a tick over rated at 14v. I cant seem to find that review but I'll keep looking.

The only negative they had was slight floor noise. Ford Sync, my source is naturally noisy so I cant comment on that. Its no more or no less than it was before.

MS-8 is running the system.

Aesthetics and function.

Its small, 11" x 6.9" x 2.03". Its black, no frills. Plenty of heat sink.

Active crossovers, remote with clip light. Both are not being used. Full range class D

I can not make a direct A to B comparison so I'll do my best to keep this as factual as possible. I'll put it up to a few like setups.

JL HD600/4, full range class D, small, 150 x 4. Source Alpine CDA-117 ran active though a external crossover on HSK XLs

JL 450/4v2, class A/B, rather large, 150 x 2-75 x 2, ran active through a Pioneer 80prs on HSK XLs

I was anti full range class D because of the HD600/4. It was soft up top but had strong midbass, didn't like it at all. The SS4A is not soft anywhere BUT this could be because of the MS-8 I'm using now. I cant really say but I'm putting it out there.

I didn't think it could be any better than the 450/4v2, only negative was it got HOT, it was a bit large but I had the room so no big deal.

I got the MS-8 dialed in yesterday and I'll do a full review on it when I get the sub in and dialed in again.

After two days of listening to reference music; Santana, Focal demo CD, Dire Straits.

Dynamics- check. Attack and decay is on point.

Instrument separation- stage is mirror to mirror and as deep as the hood. Height is very present and midbass is center hood. lead and bass guitar is separated. Lead singer and drums is separated with dead space in between.

Power- I'm not using all it has to offer but its plenty loud enough with no break up. Midbass has enough umph to shake the 40 pound doors.

Female vocals- This is where the JL HD failed. The SS4A stays crisp and clean, once again it could be the MS-8s magic SQ dust.

I was very worried about going back to class D but I didn't have the space to go A/B this time.

All of the worry is now gone. For the cost of this amp, I have to say is a good value for the real world power and performance. Its small foot print is a added plus in my case.

I have a feeling or want to think the 450/4v2 could have been better on the MS-8, its was a few hundred more. I honestly do not think it would have been. The way I wanted to mount the amps on the rear deck, upside down, I do not think the 450/4 would have survived, it would have went thermal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

LosIsATool

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
LosIsATool
Pensacola, Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies