DEH-P7200HD Issue, I'm confused, help?

Participant count
  • Participant list

GHOSTOWLGRID
10+ year member

Earth
Hello yall.

I own the DEH-P7200HD Pioneer head unit. I bought it about 2 years ago and install it.

I installed 2 front alpines 4 ohms each and 2 rear sony xPlodes 4 ohms each.

Then RCA goes to thhe rear Monoblock alpine amp 300Watt RMS output which powers 2 DUAL 12" Subs in a box. Each is 8 ohms but they are parallel so that makes 4 ohms.

he system works perfectly, it is crystal clear, and can go loud with the same quality, bass hits great.

But I have an issue.

----------------------------

I followed the wiring diagrams and it said Yellow is constant 12 volts to the head unit, did that and checked it with meter and works properly.

Red is the Ignition/accessory power to the head unit, did that too, checked with meter and works properly.

My battery is an AC-Delco battery with 950 CCA and brand new, connectors and all wiring in between checks out properly.

Its a 1996 Beretta Z26 that was recently redone and now it sits in a garage on a trickle charger.

I noticed that when it sits for an extended period of time, the Pioneer head unit resets itself back to out of the box demo factory settings.

Am I missing something here? I am tired of it resetting if the car sits longer than a few days.

What did I do wrong?

I never noticed this before as the car was always in use every day to every other day...

Thanks for the help, I'm out of answers...

EDIT:

I will just buy a programmable 12 volt DC timer and install it on the car. I will have it turn the radio on every other day for a few minutes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Your headunit may just be programmed to default back to factory settings when it's disconnected from power (I.E. the battery). I know my Pioneer headunit loses all settings when I take the positive battery terminal off. So once you get your battery in your car for an extended period of time, you may see that the settings will stay. If not, revert back to here.

The battery was never removed, its in the car all the time, I just attach a trickle charger to maintain the voltage so the battery does not die when the car sits...

And it is working, I check it with the meter, something like 13.4 volts without the charger.

It is not overcharging either, I check everything periodically...

It does this even when the power is maintained on the memory wire... After around 3-4 days, poof, it forgot...

If I disconnect the memory wire it forgets right away.

If I do not turn it on every so often with the key, it forgets...

This is why I'm confused. I don't understand why its not working, it should be working.

I never noticed it until the car went into storage after working on the body because I used it every day. Now i only pull it out once a week in the summer, and I get bothered when I have to reset it before I can take it out and enjoy it...

IMO 2 years out of a head unit is about all you get these days before you run into problems. I thought your battery might be weak and draining to a point where it no longer keeps up, but if you say it's on a charger that's not the problem.

IMO 2 years out of a head unit is about all you get these days before you run into problems. I thought your battery might be weak and draining to a point where it no longer keeps up, but if you say it's on a charger that's not the problem.
That is kinda sad to hear. You get someone who takes care of the unit and then it fails after about 2 years because it was built cheap in some aspects, then they are SOL and the manufacturer will not own up to the lack of quality because its been over 1-2 years...fail

It is sad that this is the case...

What about buying a DC timer to turn it on once every couple days for maybe a minute or two?

Do you think that is worth it? Wouldn't be that hard to wire it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is kinda sad to hear. You get someone who takes care of the unit and then it fails after about 2 years because it was built cheap in some aspects, then they are SOL and the manufacturer will not own up to the lack of quality because its been over 1-2 years...fail
It is sad that this is the case...

What about buying a DC timer to turn it on once every couple days for maybe a minute or two?

Do you think that is worth it? Wouldn't be that hard to wire it in.
If you think it's worth it to build a circuit to power it on and off once a day give it a whirl. IMO what you pay for the features you get these days is really cheap, particularly when you consider inflation and what a quality CD player costed 20 years ago (when they would last a decade).

I'd junk it and buy another HU. I'm usually bored after 2 years anyway.

Yah, this thing is brand new, hardly used.

I even contacted Pioneer about it because of this and the fact that it only showed up when the car sat for several days at a time with a full battery.

I told them about this defect in the unit that I otherwise would have never noticed.

They said they would do nothing about it. Just shows how reliable Pioneer has become. I am not buying anything from them again, I'll go elsewhere.

And its not because of the bad unit that they let go, its because they refuse to help with this in some way.

Granted it has been a year or two, The head unit is brand new still, hardly used. You think they would at least give a discount towards a replacement or atleast an exchange of some type.

Even offer to repair it. But they did not, they flatly refused with a "we do not do that." :/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

GHOSTOWLGRID

10+ year member
GHOSTOWLGRID
Earth
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from