deh-80prs questions

eradicator006
10+ year member

Canada
I'm looking to replace my eclipse cd5030 that I just sold with a deh-80prs. I have a couple of questions.

I live in Canada and am wondering the best place to buy either new or refurbished? Not seeing much on ebay. The ones on ebay are close to $500. Sonic Electronics has them pretty cheap and they ship to Canada. I've never ordered from Sonic before so I'm not 100% sure on that yet. Any other suggestions?

I've got some hertz component speakers that are currently configured in passive mode. I think I will want to run them active on the deh-80prs. Can I use the internal amp of the deh-80prs to run the tweeters and my 2 channel amp to run the mids? I'm finding conflicting info on this. Some say it's possible and some say it isn't.

Thanks.

I mean ywa there sensitive compared to coax and such but I wouldn't waste time. I think even using ultra sensitive horns or supers 8clean watts ain't crap. Wire tweets on channel 1 miss on 2 for 2ohm load each xhannel. Buy some 8 buck bass blockers till money comes. Much much better option short term

I mean ywa there sensitive compared to coax and such but I wouldn't waste time. I think even using ultra sensitive horns or supers 8clean watts ain't crap. Wire tweets on channel 1 miss on 2 for 2ohm load each xhannel. Buy some 8 buck bass blockers till money comes. Much much better option short term
less drinking. more english haha

less drinking. more english haha
Read thru the lines lol. Big fingers in short 8watts ain't worth the trouble. Run tweets off channel 1 run mids off channel 2. Grab some in line hpf for tweets and ur good to go till u get the funds to do it the right way.

I'll worry about what to do with the tweeters later. Right now I'll focus on getting the actual deck first. I do have a 4 channel kicking around here somewhere. The RCA input has broken loose. I'll try and fix it and use that.

Has anyone dealt with hifiaudioonline on ebay before? This doesn't look like a bad deal: Pioneer DEH 80PRS CD Receiver Built IN Bluetooth Ipod Control DEH80PRS B 884938151986 | eBay I may have ordered from them before back in 2005/2006. I can't remember. Back then I had no issues other than UPS leaving it on my door step when I wasn't home. Luckily nobody walked off with it.

not a bad deal indeed..

I first unsuccessfully tried to snipe a $210 "like new" unit on Ebay.

But then went to the same link as you. The Ebay unit is refurbished. I personally went with a new one on Amazon which was $15-20 more.

So depends if you want to safe $15-20 and and gamble on getting a refurbished unit.

How much do you value $15-20 difference between "refurbished" and "new" on something that costs over $200?

Refurbished doesn't bother me. Refurbished units are usually tested extensively. Not every new unit is tested like that so the odds of having problems are probably higher. Last time I ordered from that company the HU was refurbished by pioneer themselves. Hopefully that hasn't changed.

Ok good point about warranty. I've never had to use warranty in all of the years I've been buying electronics so it's not really something I think about.

I'll do some digging around for new. I'm not having much luck finding anything new for under $500 including shipping. One of the many annoying things about living in Canada.

EDIT: Looks like sonic and amazon are not authorized pioneer dealers so that may pose an issue with warranty. Crutchfield has it listed for $460 CAD plus shipping. I can get it locally in store for $499 after taxes. The refurb is looking like the way I want to go. Pretty much half the cost.

Correct; Sonic is not an authorized dealer;

I emailed and asked about this in the past- they have said they carry their own warrantee on items they sell like that. Here is verbatim what they wrote:

Dear XXXXX,
We are not authorized with Kenwood and the reason being is so we are not

held to Manufacture Prices and we can offer their product cheaper than

an authorized dealer can. We still do offer warranty on kenwood items

that is compared to the manufactures warranty. As for RE Audio, we are

an authorized dealer and you do have the manufactures warranty. Please

give us a call at 1-877-289-7664 and talk to one of our Customer Service

Representative and they would be glad to help you and see what they can

do on pricing.
My experience with them has been excellent; that said, i've never made a return to them. Or maybe once? If that is the case, I don't remember it, so wasn't hard/painful.

If you make a large order, you can call them and they will give you a better price it seems; The last large order i put in, the prices with shipping ended up cheaper than amazon by a few percent.

I own 3 deh80-PRSs, and had owned one before. All but one were bought through sonicelectronix. One hasn't been used at all (working on install), two are installed in my existing vehicles, for over a year, and the last one was sold with a car, was installed in lets see... Feb 2012... and was going strong when i sold the car in ... lets see.. may 2015.

If you care to see shots of the inside of a unit, I have a google album of some from a while ago:

https://goo.gl/photos/deCmgS4VeUmFanSM9

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

eradicator006

10+ year member
eradicator006
Canada
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from