deck's sub level control setting while setting amp gain?

Participant count
  • Participant list

xoch1
10+ year member

iowa
I have a question regarding setting up my sub amp. I have a Kennwood deck. The subwoofer setting goes from –15 to +15 . What should this setting be at before messing with the gain on the sub amp? I currently have it set at +15 and my amp gain is around half way. I purposely did it this way so I wouldn’t get greedy and raise the sub setting higher(since it is maxed out) trying to impress somebody. So my question, higher setting and lower amp gain? Or, lower setting and higher gain? I hope this is making sense. I kinda figured it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t change anything after the gain is set.

I am not sure how it effects gain, but I believe that is a subwoofer attenuation setting. You might be able to do some reading on that

And I guess that is really my dilemma. Is the sub level setting on a Kennwood Excelon deck an attenuator from +15 on down, or is 0 considered the “starting point” ??? Any other Excelon users may be able to shed some light on this? If 0 is the starting point than that would mean it is “boosting” when set to +15. And I don’t want that. I want to send an unaltered signal to the amp first right?

And I guess that is really my dilemma. Is the sub level setting on a Kennwood Excelon deck an attenuator from +15 on down, or is 0 considered the “starting point” ??? Any other Excelon users may be able to shed some light on this? If 0 is the starting point than that would mean it is “boosting” when set to +15. And I don’t want that. I want to send an unaltered signal to the amp first right?
I have a kenwood excelon, i have it on +3 with gains around half way.

ok i have another question. I just set the deck to +10 out of 15. Set my gains and sounds good. Now if i play a song that has very little bass and i want it to have a little more, if i turn it up passed +10 does that mean im sending a clipped signal even though its a very low bass song?

Doesn't mean that you're clipping things. Doesn't mean that you aren't. Impossible to say for certain. The only way that you know you are not going to get into clipping is to set the gains below clipping with the sub level at max, or never exceed the sub level used to set the gain.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.