Deciding on the final touches, and amp discussion for my application

Participant count
  • Participant list

Badfastbusa
10+ year member

Wheelie addict!!!
Atoka, OK
ok, i have decided to stay with 2 12in 4ohm type-r's... i have them in moe's 4.4cuft box tuned at 32hz... i put 450w/rms (maybe a little more, i don't know what this amp is doing at 1ohm) on them today and it is stupid loud but i want to push these things to their limit... i bought them from best buy and i got the 4yr warrantee on them so i am going to pound them and not worry about it because i can just take them back and get new ones if i blow these up.

i have a kenwood 9102d wired down to 1ohm, but it shuts down every once in a while when the volumes are loud for a sustained amount of time... the guy at bestbuy said that it was 1ohm stable, but i have never seen anything on the net that supported that theory... here is a link to the amp that i have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-KAC-9102D-Mono-Amp-500WX1-in-4-Ohm-Class-D-NEW_W0QQitemZ330006424772QQihZ014QQcategoryZ79828QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

anyone have a good educated guess at what this thing is doing at 1ohm? i know it pounds, but i don't think it is anywhere near the capabilities of what the type-r 12's can potentially do? i would like to atleast throw 1000-1200w/rms at each of them.

so i guess i am still looking for the same amount of power (4000w/rms) out of an amp so i can still expand on my system later on if i want to (4 4ohm type-r 12's)but i can just turn it down for now on just the 2 4ohm type-r 12's. any suggestions on an amp that will put out what i need? i have a little over $500 to spend.

Asking what it will do at 1 ohm is just like asking what it will do at 1/4 ohm. Both irrelevant because that amp will not do it.

The guy at Best Buy is either living his $6 an hour dream as a professional BS'r, or is really dim enough to think that amp will pull 1 ohm without overheating.

You can actually get away with it if you'll force cool it with a couple stinger turbine fans, but don't expect that amp to give you years of enjoyment, the board was not built strong enough to handle the current - even if you can get the temps under control.

i think that is a little to purple for my liking and not enough power.
Sorry man, I like to listen to my amps rather than look at them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif Don't under rate that 400 though, it's got big hairy ones. (I'd still prefer an older USA400 though)

4000 watts is a lot to ask for, especially with a little over $500. Why not get one to power the two type r's you have now and if you upgrade to four, get another of the same amp and set everything with a dmm to make sure theyre the same.

well if i get one now for the 2 12's and get another one later i would need at least 2500w/rms right now, and would want what ever amp that i get to be strapable. any ideas on what amp would fit this bill, and be $500 or under?

BTW, i need the 2500w/rms to be rated on a 14v electrical system.

why are you gonna throw 2500watts at a pair of typr r's??? are you going to be getting 2 more to run off that same amp?? thats a hella lot of power for typr r's...

why are you gonna throw 2500watts at a pair of typr r's??? are you going to be getting 2 more to run off that same amp?? thats a hella lot of power for typr r's...
i am not going to be throwing 2500watts at 2 type-r's, i am going to be putting 2000watts on them (1000each), but i would rather have a bigger amp so its not straining to put out that power level, and if i want to expand and think 2500watts is to much for the type-r's then i can always get another type-r and have 2500watts on 3 of them...

Remember, i don't care if i blow them up, i got a BB warrantee!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.