Dealing with the extra weight in a daily

timma100
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
On average, how heavy are your daily setups? and, what have you had to do to compensate for it? I'm considering adding two 140Ah batteries in the trunk (100LB each), the only sticking point for me is the weight... With what's in there now, (Zv4 15, box, 50LB batt, amps) the rear suspension was completely bottomed out. I added air assist bags to the rear coil springs and now the car is drive-able but (not surprisingly) the rear is unbelievably stiff, making the car bounce over every bump. So, sort of stuck between needing more power to backup a new amp, and not wanted to add another 150LB to the back of this car... Any thoughts?

Thanks

I've got 300 pounds of battery plus box, subs, and amps. My Silverado accelerates a lot better right now cuz it's empty. I just deal with it. It's a full-size truck, so I don't have suspension issues at all. Cars are different //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Being lighter costs extra money.

Birch is lighter than MDF, but more expensive

Lithium is lighter than the equivalent in AGM's, but more expensive.

Neo is lighter than the equivalent ferrite, but more expensive.

I've got 300 pounds of battery plus box, subs, and amps. My Silverado accelerates a lot better right now cuz it's empty. I just deal with it. It's a full-size truck, so I don't have suspension issues at all. Cars are different //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
Being lighter costs extra money.

Birch is lighter than MDF, but more expensive

Lithium is lighter than the equivalent in AGM's, but more expensive.

Neo is lighter than the equivalent ferrite, but more expensive.
Good lord, so much more expensive, considering i'll be getting the 140ah for ~$100 each (crazy good deal) and that a single lithium battery is about $1,500.. It kinda answers the question for me lol...

I just don't know man, I need more batteries for a new amp, but once all that's said and done.. All i'll have is a little more output and a tank for a daily.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Get rid of it all.
End of discussion.
That's basically where I'm at, but before I go that route I want to see what this Z can actually do.. (as its hardly doing **** right now lol) If I give this thing the power it needs, and I'm happy with it, then I'll keep everything, but if I'm still un-impressed, its all gone.

Good lord, so much more expensive, considering i'll be getting the 140ah for ~$100 each (crazy good deal) and that a single lithium battery is about $1,500.. It kinda answers the question for me lol...
I just don't know man, I need more batteries for a new amp, but once all that's said and done.. All i'll have is a little more output and a tank for a daily.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
140ah for $100 is a great deal. Each of my 80ah batteries cost $200.....

Forgot the company but a few of my buddys went with custom springs on their cars to handle the weight
GP audio has springs

That's basically where I'm at, but before I go that route I want to see what this Z can actually do.. (as its hardly doing **** right now lol) If I give this thing the power it needs, and I'm happy with it, then I'll keep everything, but if I'm still un-impressed, its all gone.
Which Z do you have?

That's not a lot of weight...

I had a scion tc on stock everything handle 560lbs of extra weight without bottoming out.

Later on, i put rear air bags on it when i went with 1350lbs of extra weight.

I now have a scion xb adding about 1800lbs to it.

When you get over half a ton of extra weight, i suggest-

new suspension. On the xb, i have coil springs and custom struts

street performance brake pads and slotted rotors only if your rotors need replacing.

Double pump pedal on initial take off.

NEVER use cruise control with that much weight!

Do not force the vehicle to maintain or increase speed when going up a hill or even passing on the highway. Keep it gradual.

For close to a ton of added weight-

Full shabang on the brakes-

Larger slotted rotors, multi-piston calipers, upgraded brake pads and stainless lines.

Different Tire properties because you are probably going on the edge of the tire capacity ratings.

Like above, if a 4 cylinder, try and keep rpms below 3k at all times.

May want to consider under-carriage bracing like sway n strut bars for better performance.

Gut as many things inside the vehicle as possible to recoup some weight savings.

If primary city driving, if you swap wheels n tires, do NOT alter the stock diameter of the tire. You will lose mpg.

If you must replace wheels n tires, purchase wheels AND tires whose weight is not heavier than what was originally on the vehicle even if they are larger.

Once the mods are done, get your car tested for an alignment and have it completed immediately.

About 300 in my trunk. Thats the limit for me. Just build a much more efficient setup. You wont drive around daily banging 150db for too long trust me. I have 2 12s on 3k giving me 146db and thats plenty.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.