DDs super 8

J

OK....I'll bite....
So...I'm a DD-Dealer, and I will say...

The new SW2508 looks great. And all of your have overlooked the fact that the 'ridges' in the DD-surround continues onto the surround landing and the cone.

I'm sure some of you remember the high-roll surround dimpling of the old IDMAX subs?.....well.....DD worked to fix such long-throw dimpling...especially on small diameter subs.

I am a DD fan, I like a lot of their products and they have came out with a lot of original stuff (DDZ as an example has been copied a lot). But, the surround is not original, the basket is not original either... It's basically an 8" TI basket with a lanzar surround and the rest DD.

Just a few things :

1) It's a 9" woofer (8.5" may be a better description, actually, based on the total OD) -- so, the spider will in fact be quite large compared to an actual standard sized 8" woofer

2) The surround design, cosmetically, looks like cheap crap woofers -- but when implemented the way DD did it does have the effect they desired where many other designs have no effect and are purely cosmetic.

3) Certainly nothing wrong with pushing forward on a bigger / better spider and surround for linearity

Looks nice all-in-all to me from a soft part / frame design standpoint... price does seem a little steep considering it's nearly what an 8W7 costs -- but I have no doubt they will sell plenty of them.

I do have to wonder why they went with such a low level of motor force in the design, though... QTS is very high at 0.80 which is odd considering DD typically suggests ported enclosures.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.