DD A4 Question: Frequency setting when amp set to HPF

Participant count
  • Participant list

djdiggla

Hi, new to the forum. I have a question maybe someone can help me with.

I have a DD A4 amp powering my door speakers which are Kicker 40CS654 (frequency response: 40-20,000 Hz). I have the HPF set to on for both front and rear door speakers so it should filter out lower than 50Hz (and sub reproducing anything 50Hz and lower).

The question I have is the what should I adjust the frequency knob to? The guy that installed it had the frequency all the way to 500Hz and so it had pretty much no mid/bass coming out--very tinny. I opened it up all the way to 50Hz but not sure if that's really the best sound quality either. I contacted DD and they said if the HPF is switched on then the frequency knob does nothing. I told them it does actually drastically affect the sound. They said, yes, it will but it just for fine tuning the sound and it doesn't really matter what it's set to. Looking for a second opinion or even to be educated on what exactly I'm doing when adjusting the HPF. Any suggestions would be great. I can't find any good info on the DD website/manuals for this specific topic.

Thanks!

Disappointing that DD has idiots answering the phones.

I 2nd NoLoud -- 80hz is the base setting I always use for 6.5's. Obviously, what works best will vary from speaker to speaker and application to application, but the 70-120hz range is going to cover just about anything.

At 50hz I would expect those Kickers to fall on their face at high volume. Frequency response specs on "full-range" speakers have always seemed like a bit of a joke to me. There is no way that speaker can produce usable output at 40hz.

When I take my sub out I run my comp's full range. They do fine as long as I don't try to blast them. When the sub's in my HP is at about 75.

I 2nd NoLoud -- 80hz is the base setting I always use for 6.5's. Obviously, what works best will vary from speaker to speaker and application to application, but the 70-120hz range is going to cover just about anything.

At 50hz I would expect those Kickers to fall on their face at high volume. Frequency response specs on "full-range" speakers have always seemed like a bit of a joke to me. There is no way that speaker can produce usable output at 40hz.

When I take my sub out I run my comp's full range. They do fine as long as I don't try to blast them. When the sub's in my HP is at about 75.
I'm sure OP misunderstood what they told him. I call weekly, so much they know me by first name, they know their ****.

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, that makes sense. I figured there's no way the door speakers are going to get as low as 40 and probably not even 50. So should I change the HPF for the Kicker to 80 and then likewise change my sub's LPF to 80 also? A followup question: Should I be using the LPF from the HU or on the sub's amp? Currently I am running thru on low power from the HU and using the LPF on the amp. Didn't know if one was better to use than the other.

Use one or the other not both. If you use the HU open the amp all the way up. If you use the amp turn the HU off. If you set the 4 channel at 80, wouldn't go lower, set the sub at 60. The slopes will fill the gap. If you want your comps to play 80 good seal the doors up. That's how you get midbass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.