DD 9518g upgrades?

sharkman

poor bass head
Ok so I'm going to send my 9518g motor off to dd to get it rebuilt. But the response email I got mentioned upgrades. I'm not sure if I need any upgrades. I plan on using my same box that I built for my sx 18 which is 9.2 cu ft. I don't recall all the specs as of now . But I plan on getting a 250 alt. one xs d6500 and I'm not sure on power but it will be either an m2 or m3a/m3b ( depends which one I can get for a good price). Will a stock 9518 handle this or will I need to request something to get upgraded as stiff spiders or something. I don't know to much about subs at the moment being that the sx 18 was my first sub....thanks for the help

Have you tried asking DD?
Not yet. Just wanted to see what you guys think....a lot of times they don't want to tell all you can do. Last time I asked about box size and they told be to go 6 cubes... But a lot of people go way bigger.... I'm going for the lows like the vid...pretty much the same setup I want...not sure about his althttp://youtu.be/iHSJtg7SMqk

Was going to send my 9518 in for a different recone. Was told $319 I believe for the recone & $219 extra for the carbon cone.

I'm thinking its the current basket. 8 spoke with the 10 inch spider. That box would be pushing it with double rated. 6 really is the sweet spot for daily
Yeah they said my basket is outdated. The new one is suppose to cool better...now I heard the bigger box allows for a deeper tone. This in the box I built for my sx. So the dd would have a higher displacement a bit.if I do stick with this box should I consider less power as in the m2 which will still be close to 3k. Or would I just be all around better with a smaller box...the sx didn't get loud but really low which I wanted

Yeah they said my basket is outdated. The new one is suppose to cool better...now I heard the bigger box allows for a deeper tone. This in the box I built for my sx. So the dd would have a higher displacement a bit.if I do stick with this box should I consider less power as in the m2 which will still be close to 3k. Or would I just be all around better with a smaller box...the sx didn't get loud but really low which I wanted
You can try it. No need to go bigger than a M2 if this if for music

Wow that was fast here's the response

If you want to go full Rockstar, I would recommend getting into a composite cone. It will be your largest investment but given that you'd like to compete with this woofer, the large enclosure, and that you're going to go for low end response, a carbon cone body will keep the woofer more linear even outside of the woofer's XMax. It will be a huge asset and it can be reused any time you want to recone the woofer (as long as you stick with an 18").

There are two cone body's that will work for your application. Our Lightweight Performance Gloss Carbon Fiber cone is what comes on our 21" woofers for additional strength over the pulp cone body. Lightweight Performance will be about the same weight as the pulp cone body but is 2x stronger. If you decide to go full bore down the road and add more power, the Strength Performance cone might be more your speed. It is available in multiple colors (blue, metallic blue, platinum, and red). This is the strongest biggest beefiest cone body we make. Against a pulp cone, it will be about twice the weight but it will also be 5x as strong. These cones are insanely strong. The additional weight will also lower the woofer's FS, which can help in low end reproduction too.

If that it a direction you'd like to go...

the Lightweight Performance 18" cone will run an additional $259.00

the Strength Performance 18" cone will run an additional $339.00

Matching composite dust caps can be added too (most people do because a standard epoxy cap on a composite cone looks pretty weird), a carbon cap can be added for $39.00, or a composite one for $49.00.

If you're looking for a musical set-up too you can also add our Supercharging feature to that.

Supercharging

Supercharging on your 9500 would run an additional $89.00

Given what you're trying to do I would not mess with any suspension options. the Standard profile will work quite well for you.

I would do the cone before I do the supercharging but I'm not sure what you've budgeted for this project either. Doing both would make for a pretty seriously wicked sub.

Aaron Trimble

Digital Designs

1141 NW 1st St.

Oklahoma City, OK, 73106

405-239-2800

DD has great customer service.

I like their Kevlar cones. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

I have three

You can try it. No need to go bigger than a M2 if this if for music
Would my sub be short lived if I try to do a comp setup for daily...watching these youtube vids is messing my head up. Truthfully everyone like the sx which I set up to sound really different then what most do out here...it got really low. I know it will do 2x better with better upgrades.

Would you say the m3 would be only needed for burps and comps...

Thanks for your help again...just left pick in pull with some new carpet to me. Gonna clean it up today and lay some sound deadener

DD has great customer service.
I like their Kevlar cones. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

I have three
Kevlar. I don't think he told me about that...that's must be for members only lol...do you think I would need to upgrade the cone. It's getting pretty stiff. I had the $350 planned but not the extra for upgrades....

The press cone could handle the m2 right. But if upgrade the cone doesn't mean it upgrade the handling it's not really needed then?...I'm stuck....I really like the wow factor of just running 1 woofer and pushing it as hard as I can. If the upgrades would allow me to push harder down the line I will save up for it

Would my sub be short lived if I try to do a comp setup for daily...watching these youtube vids is messing my head up. Truthfully everyone like the sx which I set up to sound really different then what most do out here...it got really low. I know it will do 2x better with better upgrades. Would you say the m3 would be only needed for burps and comps...

Thanks for your help again...just left pick in pull with some new carpet to me. Gonna clean it up today and lay some sound deadener
If you can afford more power get it IF you know how to use the volume knob. Going from a 2 to a 3 will only be noticeable on the meter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.