Dayton Subs: Titanic vs. Reference HF

td5turbo
10+ year member

a room
So I have decided to run a Dayton 12" sub. I have been wondering what the difference between the Titanic and Reference HF (HO?) are. Is the titanic more towards the SPL and less SQ or something?

Its probably going into a sealed enclosure with a Pheonix Gold 400-500wRMS amp.

Just looking if the HF can give that nice loud sound but be clear or if the HF is more towards that crisp clean bass.

Just looking at what the pro's and con's are of each sub. Thanks!!!!

They're both very similar drivers but the Titanic will get louder and the HF will have better upper frequency extension. They're both great sounding drivers and will do awesome in about 1.5 cubes sealed. I loved the sound of the Titanics and think they're great drivers for the price. I only heard the HF in about 3 cubes tuned to 22hz I believe so I can't compare their low frequency extension.

So your saying one single titanic will probably be louder than the HF?

But is the titanic a more SPL driver than the HF? Would I be able to notice a difference in output? If so, is the lack of SQ worth it?

neither driver is anything remotely close to an SPL driver and your application will dictate which is better. I'd get the titanic for car based app, but that's me.

But is the titanic a more SPL driver than the HF? Would I be able to notice a difference in output? If so, is the lack of SQ worth it?
Those are terrible terms that I don't like to use to discuss drivers. Both drivers were very clean sounding and it would have been difficult to distinguish on from another when listening to music at the same level. The HF did have a noticeably better high-bass extension and the Titanic was a little louder all around (minus sub 35hz stuff as the HF was ported and could dig deeper there). If both subs were sealed, I would say the Titanic would have a noticeable edge in output but both drivers would sound very similar. And no, you wouldn't be loosing any musical accuracy going from the HF to the Titanic.

Well, with that said, looks like I will be running a single 12" Titanic in a sealed enclosure off a 500wRMS Pheonix Gold amp.

hmm, but what about a two 10"/12" Reference HF? haha, choices, choices!!!

I went from a single 12" HO to a 15" XXX, and now I'm going to 2x10" HOs.

If that means anything to you, basically I enjoyed the HO more than my XXX, go figure right?

The HO requires a very small sealed box, for the 12, .8 is what I would recommend. The only reason I swapped from my HO to the XXX was because I destroyed the HO by using too large of an enclosure, broke the former right off. However, thermally the coil was fine, even after abusing it with my 2.2HV.

Oh, and the 10s will be going in a ported box tuned to 30hz, each driver will have a chamber of about .67 cubic feet, and again powered by the 2.2HV. I need one more sub, which should be here from partsexpress by the end of this week, and I'm having a buddy build me the box, which should be here probably by next week at the latest.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.