Daily Driver ? (SPL cone ?).

mastershake575

CarAudio.com Veteran
Dallas
I'm eyeballing something to play with in the 2,500-3,000 watt range.

I want something that has amazing windhsield flexing action but sounds good on music as well and hit all the ranges (not looking for a lowend monster).

I've heard that the sundowns with the SPL cone give a more traditional sound and hit well in the 30-70hz range

Has anyone used sundown for a daily driver or have any experience with the SPL cone ? (i'm thinking either a nightshade 15 SPL cone or two x 12s SPL cone).

Thank You

They are totally fine for daily -- we've started referring to them as the "Standard Roll" to make that clear.
The question now is should i do two SPL X 12s or a single SPL 15 Nightshade ? (driving an 05 civic with about 6 cubic feet to work with). Going to be running either a solid 3,000 watt amp or an underrated 2500 watt amp (Still eyeballing prices on some products).
Which combo would offer the best bass to SQ ratio ? (I want something that sounds good on music but can rattle my windshield/brain if I desire ).

I'm running a single ZV4 18 and it sounds great & pounds. 5 cf net 30hz pushing about 2600 to it.
Nice (I was looking at the new Z series and they look nice). Can you still get the higher bass frequencies with you setup ? (50-70hz range)

They are totally fine for daily -- we've started referring to them as the "Standard Roll" to make that clear.
Local dealer is trying to convince me to buy a 2,500-3K watt amp and run two SA 12s off them. He wants to be easy on the gain (basically run the amp at 60% power) while still giving a good 700-850 watts to each SA 12

Is this a good idea for daily driving ?

idk. its a hard driver to kill. ive had mine in a box way too big and i get over excursion quite a bit. still hasnt smoked on me.
you gotta factor impedance rise into the equation, you are seeing around 500-600 after rise and even less on music. A 1200 clamped will kill the sub in minutes

[quote name='Jscoyne2']I never did learn what imp rise was. Got any good articles that are informative?[/QUOTE]

When you apply A/C current to a coil in a magnetic gap, several things happen..

The coil heats up when current passes through it. This heat creates some resistance.

The coil reacts to the constant magnetic field of the motor structure and moves one way or another.

Back EMF is created when it reacts to the constant magnetic field.

The type of enclosure also affects impedance rise. Ported has a lot, sealed doesn't. Some ported boxes have more than others. Ask @FML; who is suffering from this badly.

U went from wantin to get nsv3 or x's to get SA's. Lol they will be fine on a 2500amp set up with clean power.
I was eyeing the X's but the new versions are 1500RMS and about $450 a pop (don't know if I can give them the power they want or if I want to spend $900 on a pair). I'm looking for a good set of 12s that sound good on music and can give me good numbers/output (If I can get mid 140s on two SA 12s for $390 and shake everything in my car, I'd be more than happy). Local box builder says the SA 12s will do everything I want and he has alot of experience building boxes for them
they can handle 1200 each daily. You wouldnt have to back off the gain much with a 3k amp. and not at all with a 2.5k amp
Box builder is going to be building a pretty efficent box so i'm shooting for a little over a thousands watts each before rise
that would depend on enclosure man. They wont like that power daily in an efficient box.
That's true. I've been told after rise they can handle about 850-900 daily

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mastershake575

CarAudio.com Veteran
mastershake575
Dallas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from