Cylinder style 80a fuse melting, then blowing at high volume.

Nickie

Hey guys, I am having an issue. I have went through 2 80a fuses in two days.

So yesterday I went out and bought a HD-1500 Concept monoblock class D amplifier, a second battery, then proceeded to hook it all up, took my sweet *** time with this btw making sure no wires was going to touch and all that.

So last night, new years eve was driving to a local town to watch the "ball drop" listening to it loud for around 30 minutes or so at a time. Well me and my girl watch the ball drop, get back in car head home about 30 minutes later of loud listening. I notice my subs sound like they are losing power, so I pulled over to check it out, My 20 ferad spl cap is reading 9 volts and dropping, so I check the fuse under hood and sure enough, it was melted and blown.

So, what is making this fuse do this?

My setup

JVC headunit

2 batteries

20 ferad spl capacitor

2 rockford fosgate p3's(oldschool silver cones)

4ga wire

HD1500 Concept amplifier

Wired to 1 ohm, the amp is 1 ohm stable.

Now the amp has three 30a fuses, so 90a going to it.

Could it be that the amps pulling 90amps through an 80 amp fuse? I figure that might melt the fuse first before blowing it.

please someone give me advice, seems everytime I get ahead my systems bitching for more money to be spent on it lol...

Ok, so should I get a 150a fuse, see if that fixes it?
no.....just....no.....

what kind of wire are you using? brand? etc....

did you tune the amp with a DMM to your head unit?

99% of the time fuse are blown, it's because somebody doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

i don't think a 0 gauge wire is really necessary for the set up he has.
I understand he doesn't need it now, but odds are he's going to upgrade in the future to something more powerful and is gonna need it then. I've learned it's best to just do it right the first time and call it good.

I didn't use a DMM, I just turned the gain until I heard distortion then dropped it a bit, I left my subsonic at 45hz cause my box is tuned to 50 hz.

the other settings, I just messed with until it sounded clean.

I have never had this problem before and I have had a system for past 5 years, always hooking them up myself. just this time I got a bigger system. So I will get a 125a fuse see what that does and get back to you guys, appreciate the help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.