Crossovers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alex81
10+ year member

Trying to determine the correct type of active crossover to get. With component speakers in the front to control frequency range of front high, front low, rear high, rear low, midpass, & subwoofer. A 6 channel appears to be best if not only option.

Would the Audio Control 6XS (links below) be the best option for a mid-high quality xover or the Clarion MCD360? On others like the Cadence I assume you'd add passive crossovers for the component woofer & tweeter. Which crossovers do you guys use? Is an active one required for best quality as it appears?

Audio Control 6XS AudioControl 6XS-WHITE *6-Channel Electronic Crossover (White)* at Onlinecarstereo.com

Clarion MCD360

Clarion MCD360 6-Channel 3-Way Crossover w/ Subwoofer Equalizer

Cadence CXRZ Cadence CXR7 *3-Way Electronic Crossover with 7 Volt Line Driver* at Onlinecarstereo.com

Appreciate any advice, never used an active xover before

Be prepared to fiddle with those knobs non stop to get the sound right. It takes much more time to setup up than a passive one. To go fully active, you must remove the passive crossovers out of the equation so you will be using active filters with power going through each channel separately. What's even a better choice is replacing your headunit with the Pioneer 80PRS because it has everything built in it already and you just do everything through your headunit. The more expensive route is an external DSP.

What's your reason for going active? I had many sleepless nights trying to figure out the right combination of filters to suit my needs. You will most likely face these problems as well as the choices are endless. If you want to run a 2 way active setup, you need 4 channels of amplification. 3 way setup needs 6. One thing you'll notice from going passive to active is that you'll be turning your gains way down compared to before because of it's efficiency.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.