Crossover settings?

JohnPD

CarAudio.com Regular
Using my head unit, which is currently powering my Focal Auditor series door speakers, what should I set the hpf to? The lowest frequency of the speakers, or should I leave set to “through”? I’m not even sure what “through” means.
I am getting a 4 channel amp installed within the next two weeks, but until then, what should I set the hpf at?

Using my head unit, which is currently powering my Focal Auditor series door speakers, what should I set the hpf to? The lowest frequency of the speakers, or should I leave set to “through”? I’m not even sure what “through” means.
I am getting a 4 channel amp installed within the next two weeks, but until then, what should I set the hpf at?
Those who use it usually set it at 3500-4500Hertz. If your tweeters come with x-overs then set it to pass-through. It is the same as "off".

Which head unit and are you looking to go passive or active crossovers? If passive just set the head unit to 80 Hz either 12 DB or 24 DB slope depending on your taste and when you get the amp turn that one off.
Active is more involved I'll let somebody else tell you how to do that

Those who use it usually set it at 3500-4500Hertz. If your tweeters come with x-overs then set it to pass-through. It is the same as "off".
WHAAAAA?? That would cut out half his mids.

Yes, the lowest frequency of the speaker.

High pass filters allows frequencies higher than the setting to pass through. If you are setting the high pass for your components/mids, then you are trying to cut the signal for the lows/subwoofer frequencies out before sending it.

Through just means no filter.

Which head unit and are you looking to go passive or active crossovers? If passive just set the head unit to 80 Hz either 12 DB or 24 DB slope depending on your taste and when you get the amp turn that one off.
Active is more involved I'll let somebody else tell you how to do that
Head unit is in my signature, JVC KW-M780BT

My tweeters have crossovers in the speaker wires, so from what I gather, leave it set to "through"? The Focal door speakers have crossovers built in also if that helps.

My tweeters have crossovers in the speaker wires, so from what I gather, leave it set to "through"? The Focal door speakers have crossovers built in also if that helps.
That is the crossover between the tweeters and the mids. That is dividing up the usable frequency to which speaker will play them. You should still set the head unit HPF to the lowest those speakers can handle so you can filter out subwoofer frequencies before they are sent.

That is the crossover between the tweeters and the mids. That is dividing up the usable frequency to which speaker will play them. You should still set the head unit HPF to the lowest those speakers can handle so you can filter out subwoofer frequencies before they are sent.
The tweeters are in the door sail panels, the door speakers are Focal Auditor series 2 way speakers, so still set the hpf to the lowest frequency the Focals are rated for even though they have built in crossovers? Both speakers are powered by separate amps, door speakers by the head unit, until this next weekend, sail panel tweeters by a separate amp powering them, and the subwoofer.

And you (if you’re not an Ai BOT), for the sake of everyone in this forum, may want to quit posting. Your information is consistently off topic and incorrect when on topic. Providing bad info when dealing with some of this can be dangerous and may cause someone to blow something up or start a fire. Just stop.

Last edited:
Oh man, no wonder I can't seem to put together a decent sounding sound system.
By Cook Cluuck Book 98.. You must have sound to be good before you can have decent sound. System is measured by how many ants move one piece of bread to the mound when there is 12volts near the grass area and when humans can hear the ants foot movements. Power of movement by 12 volts by system of ant and human hearing with no wax build up to move processed flour!! 👀 👀

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...