Crazy whine. Need help ASAP

Participant count
  • Participant list

rangerboy101
10+ year member

Dr. Subwoofer
Alright so I picked up some DD 6.5" comps and I started hooking them up today. I got one in and wanted to hear it so I hooked it all up, bridged my P400.4, and turned the key. Everything was going fine. They were sounding good but not good enough so I did a little tuning. Again, everything kept working fine and there were no issues. Because of the location of my amp, I couldn't access the rear channel adjustments so I simply turned the truck off, unhooked the amp, adjusted the rear settings to match the front ones, hooked the amp back up and walked away. A few minutes later I turn the key back on and figure I'll listen to some music for a little bit. Well when my double din finally booted up and all of a sudden I get this crazy high pitch whine. No matter what RCA's I hook up it still whines. And FWIW, I touched the two white RCA's on the amp with my finger and it did the whining still. So I've tried all kinds of stuff. Switching the RCA's, unhooking the amp and hooking it back up, etc. I need some help here guys. Any ideas what could be wrong? Something wrong with the amp? Thanks in advance...

I've just kinda come to the conclusion that I'm going to redo all of my wiring this weekend. Gonna rewire the headunit, rerun the RCA's and ground my P400 to my Deka. Hopefully things will go better.

yea, u blew the Pico fuse on the headunit. Take a DMM, and put the pos lead on the RCA and neg lead on the unit chassis and check for resistance (i think). If you have none, then yea, you blew it.

Easy fix is to ground the RCA to the headunit and it should go away. Sure fix is to open the unit up and patch up the pico fuse.

There are a lot of tutorials on how to fix this. It usually happens with Pioneer head units.

The Picofuse is actually a small resistor inside of the unit. When you hot swap the RCA's, it overpowers the resistor and blows it causing an open circuit between the two polarities of the RCA.

The easiest fix is to solder / wrap bare wire around each RCA shield (the outer most metal part. Some RCA's have a plastic shielding. You can cut this off with a razor to reveal more shielding.), and then ground it to the chassis of the head unit. Make sure you do it well, and not half-***ed.

I had to re-do mine a few times back when it originally happened due to shoddy work and me being in a rush.

I took my time, soldered the wire onto the shield, wrapped it tightly with a nice little Boy-Scoutesque not and grounded them to a random screw on the back of my unit. I haven't had a problem in over 3-1/2 years.

There are a lot of tutorials on how to fix this. It usually happens with Pioneer head units.The Picofuse is actually a small resistor inside of the unit. When you hot swap the RCA's, it overpowers the resistor and blows it causing an open circuit between the two polarities of the RCA.

The easiest fix is to solder / wrap bare wire around each RCA shield (the outer most metal part. Some RCA's have a plastic shielding. You can cut this off with a razor to reveal more shielding.), and then ground it to the chassis of the head unit. Make sure you do it well, and not half-***ed.

I had to re-do mine a few times back when it originally happened due to shoddy work and me being in a rush.

I took my time, soldered the wire onto the shield, wrapped it tightly with a nice little Boy-Scoutesque not and grounded them to a random screw on the back of my unit. I haven't had a problem in over 3-1/2 years.
Should've taken the same time and care when you swapped RCAs, then you wouldn't have had to do that in the first place //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

My RCA's are all on one plug like so:

346951676_CrMY8-L.jpg

Do you think pulling the wires out of the plug and wrapping wire around the little "pin" that holds it into the plug and putting the wire/RCA back into the plug will work the same as wrapping wire around the RCA shield?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.