CRAZY situation...

TwiztedRolla
10+ year member

Ok, here it is... I just redid my ENTIRE system. Changed all of the speakers, built a new box (spare tire well).. I'm talking EVERYTHING. I started the car, drove it for about 20 min. and then... nothing. The car just shut off with me in the middle of the street. I pull over to the turning lane and restart it. Everything's fine.. or so i thought. I get to where im going, stay for about an hour and try to start the car... nothing again. I get a jump, drive another 15 min and drop my friend off, turn around to leave and dead again. This time when i jump it, as soon as i remove the cables it dies. I changed the alternator, but i still have the same problem. Any Ideas?

it sounds more like alt problem, but if u already changed it then it's ur battery.

ur alt wouldn't recharget the batt so it kept going dead.

Sounds like the battery isn't getting charged. Did you replace the wire from alternator to battery? Maybe the fusible link in the wire blew out.

Fixed it..... it was a combination of EVERYTHING. The battery was dead, which then fried the alternator cuz it was trying to charge a dead battery. When I put the new alternator in, the car started, but died cuz the battery was dead. I bought an Optima Red Top, and everything went smooth. Then when I woke up this morning, it wouldn't start again. But I figured out that my battery ground was loose. Everythings ok now, thanx for the prior suggestions.

Originally posted by TwiztedRolla Fixed it..... it was a combination of EVERYTHING. The battery was dead, which then fried the alternator cuz it was trying to charge a dead battery. When I put the new alternator in, the car started, but died cuz the battery was dead. I bought an Optima Red Top, and everything went smooth. Then when I woke up this morning, it wouldn't start again. But I figured out that my battery ground was loose. Everythings ok now, thanx for the prior suggestions.
To be honest, sounds to me like your original alternator was probably ok and it was the battery all along. Hopefully you at least got a larger alternator when you replaced it, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.