Could replacing my amp (Alpine MRP-M350) improve my sound quality?

I believe a better amplifier, and a nicely made ported box for your sub will make a big difference, or even just trying to go with a ported box first makes alot of difference.Id recommend that before spending the money on another amp.Build /or have a ported box built to the specs of the sub you have, and use the amp that you have ,first:) IMO

Why are most places and people saying that a sealed box is best for sound quality? Also the specs on my sub is rated 200-400 watt RMS, is 350W affecting my sound quality? Again, I'm all about SQ, loudness doesn't matter to me.

Why are most places and people saying that a sealed box is best for sound quality? Also the specs on my sub is rated 200-400 watt RMS, is 350W affecting my sound quality? Again, I'm all about SQ, loudness doesn't matter to me.
This is something that I was curious about after reading this thread. I'm hoping that someone will shed some light on this; I'd like to know more about this. Whenever I search for the differences between the two, it seems that sealed is more commonly associated with sound quality. One article seems to get linked to or referenced fairly often, at least.

For what it's worth, I'll likely stick to sealed for the sake of keeping it simple and I really like being able to preserve some cubic feet of cargo room in my Vibe.

The issue with the Alpine amp is really in the crossover section. When you flip the crossovers on you induce A LOT of distortion into the signal and have to crank the gains way down to compensate. The easy thing would be to run that amp full-range and use the LPF on a HU if you have that feature. Otherwise it's probably wiser to upgrade to a better amp (notice I didn't say 'bigger').

I'd love to go ported if it will increase my SQ, but I do not have the tools to make my own box. I've read that buying a good already made box is expensive, exactly how much are we talking? Could someone link me to a 1.3 cu ft ported box?

The issue with the Alpine amp is really in the crossover section. When you flip the crossovers on you induce A LOT of distortion into the signal and have to crank the gains way down to compensate. The easy thing would be to run that amp full-range and use the LPF on a HU if you have that feature. Otherwise it's probably wiser to upgrade to a better amp (notice I didn't say 'bigger').
That's how I currently have mines, crossover on amp is on full range, and I'm using the LPF and HPF on my HU.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.