convert 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" to 6 x 9

Participant count
  • Participant list

sgraflund

Hi!

New member here posting for the first time!

I pulled a set of XPlod 6 1/2" speakers out of my old car, got a new 2002 ram, where the fronts are 6x9 and the rears are 6 1/2" x 6 1/2". Has anybody ever modified a 6 1/2" speaker to fit a 6 x 9 spot? I'm a woodworker so i can build a frame to hold the 6 1/2" piece into, then place it into the 6x9 spot and mount it using the wood.. Would that deaden the sound at all if i do that?

Thanks!

i meant i want to replace the stock 6x9's with my xplod 6 1/2"s .. and was wondering if there was something i could do to do that? i was thinking of making something out of wood to fit the 6x9 opening, mount the 6 1/2 into the wood, then mount the wood to the opening in the door ..

I would imagine i could use any wood though correct? Or is there something special about MDF for the sound? I have some scrap poplar lying around that i was gonna use.. or can i even just use something like cheap 1/4" ply?

Originally posted by sgraflund I would imagine i could use any wood though correct? Or is there something special about MDF for the sound? I have some scrap poplar lying around that i was gonna use.. or can i even just use something like cheap 1/4" ply?

well u could use anything but id go to sounddomain.com and by a lil plastic bracket it would save u alot of time

Bah, don't buy brackets. There's no guarantee that they'll fit, and a mounting ring shouldnt take more than 10 or 15 minutes to make.

And as far as what wood to use...you can use just about anything. Just make sure it's thick enough so that the screws for the speakers don't go through it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.