Confusion on bass box diagrams for two ported L5 10's

Participant count
  • Participant list

creyc
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I just got two 10" kicker L5's in the pre-fabbed ported kicker box and I'm trying to figure out if the porting is done optimally and if there are any adjustments I could make. I also want to see what a graph of this setup looks like in winISD or BBP.

From the looks of it the enclosure peaks around 65-74 Hz, which to me seems kind of high. Porting frequency acording to my calculation is 46 Hz. Yet output shows a full 3dB less at 46Hz. Down to sub-bass frequencies around 35Hz output is a full 10dB less than peak!

So my question is what's the cause of this peak in the 65-74Hz range, and will I notice a distinct lack of very LOW bass with this setup?

first of all do not trust winisd for your tuning and second of all do no go pre-fab
I disagree. I wonder if you have seen the new pre-fabricated kicker boxes. I took the drivers out last night to re-wire them to 1-ohm and I was quite impressed with the box build quality.

The box is built of solid 3/4" MDF and lined with a decent amount of polyfill. The joints are glued and the box seems quite sturdy and airtight (excluding port). The drivers are mounted better than I've seen in most other shop-built or custom made boxes. They use machine thread hex screws which screw into metal inserts on the back side of the MDF. The port is flared on both ends, and of proper diameter to prevent huffing/noise. Finally, they used nice heavy gauge wire inside the box for the jumpers between voice coils and to the terminals. I've certainly see WAY worse "custom" boxes, and quite a few!

Yes I realize pre-fab boxes generally get a bad rap but Kicker really stands out on this one. Not to mention the finishing touches like the two-tone carpet which actually looks like it's not gonna fall off and the nice flush mounted drivers. I may go in with a length of 2x2 to brace the front and back walls together but other than that I see no structural or quality problems with the box, I'm just wondering about the design itself.

I'm sure a larger box would suit the drivers better and probably flatten the response down a bit, extending into the low area but I don't have too much more room in my cab as it is.

Can you get some internal dimensions of the enclosure and dimensions of their port?

I thought Kicker claims to tune their pre-fabs to 38hz. The dual CVR enclosure I heard from them sounded like it was tuned around there. I didn't really get to mess with it much so I don't really know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.