computers in your car...?

Participant count
  • Participant list

fantomas
10+ year member

show her the oh face
CT
I am soon going to be putting a computer in my car. I would really like to know if anyone else has tried this (and hopefully succeeded). The reason I am attempting this is because I first wanted to just put a DVD player in (somewhere). Then I stumbled accross this site: http://www.ryanspc.com/carmp3 I think he did a really nice job. What I'm trying to do, however, is not as complex as his. First off, I drive a 1996 Accord. My plan is to mount the computer case under the passenger seat, remove my head unit, and custom install a 5.6" color lcd screen in the dash. I plan on having a DVD drive (which would also play CDs, of course) and an mp3 player like winamp. So now my plan is to integrate DVD along with mp3s. It is starting to become bothersome to listen to my CDs when they keep skipping. Now the hard part. (one thing that i dont like about the internet is that there is a lot of false information and opinions) Because of this, I'm not sure how I am going to set up the sound for this. Of course I would get a half-way decent sound card. From the audio out plug I believe that I will be sending the signal to an equilizer -> powered crossover -> then to the sub amp and a 4ch amp to go to the stock 5.5"s and 6x9"s.

Another problem will come with shutting down and starting up everytime I turn the car on/off, along with booting time. Im thinking about running WinXP (10 sec boot time?) on an AMD duron 900mhz (200mhz bus). I am trying to do more research on how to power it. I know a 400 watt dc to ac power converter will suffice, but somehow i have to get the computer to turn and on with the car (safely without draining the battery). So please tell me what you think and if you know of any other sites online like this. Once its done I'm sure ill post something about my troubles. I'm also sure that there is something I forgot to mention, but thats all the basics. -Scott

I don't know how you plan to remedy it but running a cd off a PC CD/DVD ROM will cause severe skipping as these drives were not meant to be used while in constant motion. The solution is to load the MP3's into the harddrive, but then you can't watch DVD while driving... only when parked.

You can't drive and watch a video at the same time anyway.. LOL

About the power issue... you can install a UPS into the system so that if your car shuts down for less than 30 mins then the PC doesn't shut down... but goes on standby or something... and a press of a button will restart it immediately.

It can be done, I've read about it, and it works fine. As long as you don't drive down a bumpy road. If playstations, dreamcasts and so on can handle it, then why not a computer? As for information on this, you might ask zane or ramos, they will most likely give some info, or be able to point you to a site that is reliable.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

fantomas

10+ year member
show her the oh face
fantomas
CT
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date