Comps >= 150W

Anyone else? I seem to notice that most of the "affordable" comps are 100W or less...so I was curious at what comps are out there in the 150W range.

Well, I got Polk Audio db6501's up front and Polk Audio db5251's in the rear and both are rated at 100W Max RMS so I was curious if going to a 4 X 150W amp would kill them. I don't typically crank my system all that loud...loudest I go with my Alpine CDA-9887 is 21 to 23 on a volume scale of 0 to 35.

I just wasn't sure if it would be better to upgrade the comps or stick to a 4 X 100W amp.

Sounds like some of you guys go with bigger amps and take yer chances.

An additional 50 watts is not going to make an audible difference. What are you unhappy with, That makes you want to switch equipment?

I only have space in my center console for amps, so compact, Class D amps restirct my choices...I currently have two Alpine PDX amps, a 4.400 for the front and rear comps and a 600.1 for my 10" subs...I really miss my JL Audio amps I had in my old truck but I could not fit them in the new one. However I just noticed that JL Audio does have their HD series that offers the same footprint as the Alpine PDX series. I'd really like to use their HD600 (4 X 150W) and their HD750 (750W X 1) but I was concerned about the extra 50W output on the HD600 going to comps that are only rated to 100W Max RMS. I could use their HD900 which is 4 X 100W and 500W X 1 but I was a bit concerned I'd lose 50W per sub as my present subs are rated at 300W Max RMS per sub and I have two wired in parallel. Of course, this may be the same case as what you are saying in that a reduction of 50W may not even be noticeable, but I do like hard hitting, tight bass. Thoughts?

Me personally I would keep what you have,you have nice equipment. You have to at least DOUBLE the power to get a 3 db gain wich is very if any audible. If you want more output my suggestion would be experimenting with different boxes and sound deadening if not already done. Keep what you have and maximize and do everything possible to get the best sound with your current setup , then and only then consider swapping equipment. YOU WILL SAVE ALOT OF MONEY.

Me personally I would keep what you have,you have nice equipment. You have to at least DOUBLE the power to get a 3 db gain wich is very if any audible. If you want more output my suggestion would be experimenting with different boxes and sound deadening if not already done. Keep what you have and maximize and do everything possible to get the best sound with your current setup , then and only then consider swapping equipment. YOU WILL SAVE ALOT OF MONEY.
I suppose but I really loved my JL Audio amps when I had them and when I saw this HD series, well, it's hard not to pull the trigger and give it a try...however the HD 900/5 is $1K which is a lotta moola! But I would also be going from 2 amps down to one, which would be nice....I dunno...still thinkin' about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.