[Completed] Design request for 6pucker

Participant count
  • Participant list
Subwoofer/speaker brand: Kicker

Subwoofer/speaker model, size, and number of woofers: Kicker C124, 12 in, 4

Vehicle enclosure will be used in (please add notes if specific or unusual placement will be used):m in a trunk of a 1980 Cadillac coupe deville

Max dimensions (MUST fit in vehicle or through trunk opening!):

height=14" width=46" length=31"

Amp or expected power handling: AudioPipe APSM-1300

Listening expectations (description): i just want it to sound good

What bandwidth is acceptable? 35-60hz high output, 30-80hz? Ignore if you do not understand

How low do you want it to play and how important are the low notes (Song examples are encouraged)? low is always important. song=hypnotize by young jeezy, the inspiration album.

Are you looking for a heavy low end, or one that blends with the rest of the output? heavy low end

How important is sound quality compared to loudness? the subs are going to be in the trunk so im not sure if sq is going to make that much of a difference. i want loudness with sq if possible?

Enclosure type request (Are you looking for a vented or bandpass for any specific reason)? vented, i have experience with slot ported boxes so i would really like a slot ported box. but please feel free to school me on differences and advantages on other vented designs.

Any specific enclosure preferences (Double baffled, flush mount, center slot, blowthrough, home environment etc)?id like a double baffled, subs facing up and port firing towards the back of trunk

Other notes: i looked at the specs on the kicker subs and kicker recommended a max of 2.25 cu per speaker, i'd like to stick to the max cubes for each sub. thanks

From what I am finding the C12 woofers LOVE space. Any enclosure within the space you provide will start to have a rolloff as high as 50hz. With cabin gain you may get a flat response down to your low end.

Is this OK? The closest way to get a better low end response would be to use a 4th order and fill, but it would still require a larger enclosure than your space has available.

4th order sounds cool but thats the max space that i have. " Any enclosure within the space you provide will start to have a rolloff as high as 50hz. With cabin gain you may get a flat response down to your low end."

Not a problem.

Your car is a very small environment. Sound waves are have physical lengths. Bass notes are very long (longer than your car's cabin) and within the small environment tend to reflect or bounce and "support" themselves to be stronger/louder than what they initially are in an open (referred to as anehoic) environment like shown in most basic design applications.

The further you go down generally in bass frequency, your car tends to make it louder and louder through gain. At 50hz (higher bass range) it may add a few decibels, at 30 (rather low bass range for music. most chopped/screwed music lies around here) it may add 10 or more! There are certain frequencies they match best to your cabin dimensions/makeup (you may see this referred to as peak frequency, resonant frequency, etc.) which you can find further information on by googleing "room modes". Also note, the gain isnt always a smooth/linear thing.

Theres much more to it, but that should get the idea across.

Ill make the most of the space you have available.

Your design has been completed and can be found here: 4xComp12s Vented enclosure - $10.00 : TheBoxHouse, Enclosure designs

I made the most of the space available. The little port area is a possibility due to the subs' low power handling/low excursion, which allowed me to give the subs more chamber volume.

May not be the heavy low end you were originally looking for but in car should give you good extension with cabin gain no problem.

Look forward to a build log!

Not a problem, and I normally try to get designs out quicker! Family birthday though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Glad you like it!

sorry for taking so long to update the thread but i have to say that the box ******* wangs! i have this installed in a 1980 cadillac coupe and it shakes everything. thanks again for the ******* design dude! i will be coming back to you for more designs, as a matter of fact i have a couple of friends that are wanting designs from you. thanks again for the design.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

6pucker

6pucker
twin cities, minnesota
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
surreal