competition question

diminishedpower
10+ year member

I Like Chicken
Iowa
i was talking to a guy and said that unless you have a nice car its not worth competting anymore because most cometitions are an overall rating. Like the overall looks, sound and stuff, aka if you have an old car its not even worth going to a spl comp because most won't accept you. Is he total B.S. or are comps really starting to switch.

i think thats b.s, that would be more for a car show, not an SPL contest.. because they cant over judge you on your spl, if your sh1t is loud than your sh1t is loud, i dont think it matters how it looks...

in SQ and SPL, he is full of shiit, plain and simple. as far as show goes, yes, it seems that the late model imports rule this seen. some shows will class you different, allowing the older cars to shine. some however lump them all together. my dad owns a 1967 impala ss, he gets annoyed when he is in the same class as a '99 TA or the like.

i have never seen a show turn down a car, unless you roll into an import show with your old school cutlass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

For SPL no, it doesn't matter. For SQ, yes, it does matter to a degree. Straight from the USACI rules for "Basic SQ" division:

Overall cleanliness of vehicle (1 - 5) - A clean vehicle shows both respect for the judges and the competitor’s pride in the vehicle. Only a very clean vehicle will receive maximum points. Some allowances may be made for lack of cleanliness if the event is held during bad weather or with less than appropriate judging area conditions.
You can see how it could make or break you in a close competition where the competitors are only separated by a few points.

like someone else said, in those rules, it doesnt mean like if you had a show car you would get the top score, they are sayin they dont want cars that look like **** and smell like **** competing.. they want cars that are decent and working so it makes it alot easier on everyone....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.