compatibility issues?

bassfordinner

I tried hooking up a 10 inch kicker to my alpine 350.1 v power and for some reason the sub would kick the amp into security mode. i have 2 10 inch fosgates on it regularly and the guy who owns the kicker ( was going to trade for it but didnt ) uses a 500.1 fosgate amp for his kicker. its all mismatched but usually it doesnt matter at this low of power. has anyone else experienced this? i was hoping to get a newer 15 inch sub but i just want to be sure it was just a fluke if i decide to buy a kicker

i'd say it's wired to 1ohm and your amp isn't 1ohm stable so it's going into protection..... check how to rewire the sub to 4ohm and it should work fine

i tried that. i wired the coils in series and it still shut down. i've heard of one other person having an issue like this with the 500.1 version of my alpine and 2 ten inch kickers. i have a hard time believing its a compatibility problem cause i've done some wierd mismatched systems before

If it's a compatibility problem it has nothing at all to do with brands. Amps don't see brand names, they see electrical loads. The amp is 4Ω stable so if you presented it with a good 4Ω load, it will work with the speaker. If not, there's a problem with either the amp or the driver.

it was wired correctly on my amp. it works both ways on another amp. i've ran jl and RF dual 2 ohm subs on my amp and they worked fine. why does this one not work? should i just plan on never buying a kicker sub? i have a plan on how i'm going to upgrade my stereo system piece by piece and this is just the first stage now. i don"t want to buy a sub from the local audio guy in town and not have it be compatible. i want to stick with my plan and timeframe so i can get everything i need before everything in the honda goes to the jeep with the better electrical system. if i could truly afford FI or something as good i would do it but for now i'm stuck with the standard stuff. I know quite a bit about the fundamentals of electricity pertaining to car audio. WHY DOES MY AMP NOT WORK WITH THIS SUB!!!???!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?????!!!!?!??!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!!!!? i like the sound of kicker as a run of the mill easily found product. rockford fosgate is my first choice but if kicker sounds better i want kicker. my amp is in nearly perfect shape save for some scratches around the mounting eyelets. there is no logical reason for this. like the guy above says: amps don't see brand names, they see electrical loads

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.