Comparing 1/0 to 4/0.

I thought...
smaller/more strands = more surface area

more surface area = less resistance

Right? So therefore the smaller but higher strand count would be more effective then the larger less strand count?

Or am i wrong in this?
Thats what I've been told in the past.

DC current flows on the surface of the wire, so surface area makes a difference, AC current would flow through the entire wire so surface area isn't as important. Not sure why/how this works, cause I would think power is power whether it's AC or DC, but thats what I've read in other forums.

I have read a few places that strand count is less important in 12v DC than people make it out to be. I don't have any real world testing to confirm this either way. I am basing my info of previously read informative websites, not forums.

I'm not 100% on it, it's just what I've read. I've heard guys say they seen no difference in voltage between welding wire and Knu 0/1 ga wire, and others that swear by welding wire over 0/1 car audio grade wire. I'm sure there's a science to it, but the difference might be pretty minimal in a daily application.

i bought some 1/0 welding wire and it was pretty hard to work with. I wouldnt recommend using it..
i just sold a bunch of 4/0 flexaprene

its very flexable. easier to work with that a lot of 1/0 out there

this was just a quick picture i took for someone. it had more flex that what the pic shows

r94emf.jpg

I thought...

Right? So therefore the smaller but higher strand count would be more effective then the larger less strand count?

Or am i wrong in this?
Maybe when compairing two different brands of 1/0. But the 4/0 would be able to carry more current even with the lesser strand count.

thanks alot for the info got another question thuogh. i updraded my alt to battery wire to 4 gauge but it has about 8 strands of wire. would it make a huge diffference in voltage drop if i used a much finer strand? or is it fine the way it is

i bought some 1/0 welding wire and it was pretty hard to work with. I wouldnt recommend using it..
Thats what I've been told in the past. DC current flows on the surface of the wire, so surface area makes a difference, AC current would flow through the entire wire so surface area isn't as important. Not sure why/how this works, cause I would think power is power whether it's AC or DC, but thats what I've read in other forums.
I thought...

Or am i wrong in this?
lolwut?

Google "Skin effect"

Then google welding supply.

You guys are looking at the wrong "surface area." You need to look at cross sectional surface area, not longitudinal surface area. If the wire is truly rated for xx AWG, then it will have the same cross sectional area as any other wire truly rated for the same wire size, regardless of strand count.

The Coppercableman wire is flexible. I had them send me every size of welding wire they sell for some samples so I could compare it to some of the more popular vehicle audio wire. You can see the difference in size in the picture below.

The four pcs of welding wire on the right are from Coppercableman on Ebay.

From the right to the left...4/0ga welding...3/0ga welding...2/0ga welding...1/0ga welding...1/0ga Kicker Hyperflex...1/0ga Lightning Audio...1/0ga Knu Kollossus...2/0ga welding...1/0ga welding................The last four pcs of welding wire are from Ebay link and the first two pcs of welding wire are from my local welding supply shop.

The only real difference between most vehicle audio wire and welding wire is that the welding wire is not tinned, it has larger individual strands, normally has a inner protective liner (some welding wire uses paper as the inner liner) and the outer cover is not glossy and translucent like most vehicle audio wire.

Most of the 1/0ga vehicle audio wire is closer in size to the 2/0ga welding wire. The 1/0ga welding wire is the same size as most cheap vehicle audio wire.

2265826330048953316S600x600Q85.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Buck

5,000+ posts
little alien on campus
Buck
Inside of a pyramid
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date