combining 8 track and cd receiver wiring

Participant count
  • Participant list
Wow..you have a working 8-track(for the minute)?..What about tapes? Could you show a couple of pics of the player and a tape or two? The are so many ppl here who do not even know what a 8-track tape is, much less seen a mobile player for them.

To separate with a relay, simply get 8 Bosch style 5 pin relays.

Speakers wire to pin 30, one relay per speaker wire ( two relays per speaker)

8-track outputs wire to pin 87a (N.C.) For the corresponding speaker relays.

CD player outputs wire to pin 87 (N.O.) for the corresponding speaker relays.

The coils wire together, power and ground, and you have a toggle switch to power the relay to change state.

i'll shoot you all a couple of photos tomorrow!

"If you have aux. inputs on your cd player RCA or 1/8" TRS, you can put a LOC on the 8-track speaker outs and wire back into the Aux inputs on the CD HU"

translate......i have an aux input on the cd receiver front; what's a LOC??; i assume "CD HU" means cd head unit??? help me out here brother!

A "Line Output Converter" (LOC) allows you to take the speaker outputs from the tape deck (2 channels, stereo) and plug them into the aux input of the CD player (Head Unit). You'll have to adapt the RCA plugs of the LOC to match the input jack of the HU. This would allow you to wire the speakers to the CD player and not have to switch them.

A "Line Output Converter" (LOC) allows you to take the speaker outputs from the tape deck (2 channels, stereo) and plug them into the aux input of the CD player (Head Unit). You'll have to adapt the RCA plugs of the LOC to match the input jack of the HU. This would allow you to wire the speakers to the CD player and not have to switch them.

roger.......got it.........thanks!

The 8 track has 4 wires - red (power), black (ground - with 2 pigtails for the 2 speakers), green (right +) and white (left +). I know how to connect the red power, but how do I connect the positives and grounds to the converter and which type converter should I buy for this application? The aux input on my cd receiver is 3.5 mm stereo female plug in the head unit. Thanks very much!

The 2 items in quack's link are appropriate for your needs. You would connect the tape deck's green and white wires to the LOC plus input wires and the ground pigtails to the LOC negatives. The adapter harness would connect between the LOC and your aux input.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.