Coax Haters!

Participant count
  • Participant list

OtisWallace

CarAudio.com Newbie
edmonton
Theres alot of coax hate...which on the surface, admittedly, is justified. However, im curious, is it possible to design a high SQ coax system? Has anyone mastered a 5 channel 4 door coax (with sub) system? Can you buy your way into good sound with expensive coax product and a solid dsp?

Theres alot of coax hate...which on the surface, admittedly, is justified. However, im curious, is it possible to design a high SQ coax system? Has anyone mastered a 5 channel 4 door coax (with sub) system? Can you buy your way into good sound with expensive coax product and a solid dsp?
You couldn’t really use a DSP with coaxials. They are full range speakers. DSP is meant to isolate each speaker with their own frequency band and EQ. Having 2 or 3 speakers built into a coax running on 1 crossover doesn’t work.

Their are a few coaxials that separate wiring for the tweeters and the mids. But those are few and far between. That is the only way to truly dsp a coax.

But not just crossovers, wouldn’t a parametric eq at least be able to help dial in the sound a bit better for the unique attributes of the car/speaker environment?

You could do this with the Hertz SPL Show NEO coax. As they have a wire on the tweeters that can be cut and tied into in order to run active. Most run active just on the fronts and power rears with head unit power. Or they delete rears all together. So it could be done. The only thing I see that could be a problem would be staging. With coaxials its going to be rather hard to get a high SQ setup. I just don't think time alignment will be enough to get the staging where you would want it. I could be wrong.

I do know that it would still be really nice sounding. Just not, high SQ sounding.

the problem is, most times, legs will block the tweeters sound. it will sound muffled. unless you mount them up on the dash or on the a pillars

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.