clipping??

Participant count
  • Participant list

bumpincrv
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Illiniois
i recentyl bought a dd 9515 powered by a AB 80.1(for now) the sub is in a bandpass box and when i run the sub at a reletivley high level I smell this burning ruber smell and i imedietly turn it down but i know im not overpowering this sub because i smelled the same smell with my old sub which was just a round 12" atlas but i figured i was just overpowering it because it was only a 600 RMS woofer, My brother said it might be clipping because of low voltage so i added a optima red top battery in the back in addition to the stock battery up front still didnt help. Now I am tryn to figure this all out and was thinkin it might be my HU because all i have in right now is an old old sony tape player cause im cheap and wanted to get my amp hooked up and thats what i had laying around or mabye its just a problem with my amp or sub idk if anybody has anything else they think is wrong everyting helps

Thanks Jarrett

Set your gains properly //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif Read the gain setting tutorial in the amp forum.

Set your gains properly //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif Read the gain setting tutorial in the amp forum.
well thats what i thought too but i turned down both the gain and the bass on the amp and still no help

if it is a high quality amp, it should have a pretty good protection mode, a know exactly when to go into protection mode. I have a Boston Acoustics GT-24 amp and had the same problem at high volume levels for extended periods of time. i read, and reread the manual, took a voltmeter to the amp, to make sure the gain was right. come to find out the gain was set right.

So i went on to try to figure out the problem. come to find out there are two small fans above the heatsink of the amp. i took a closer look, tested it out.

HAh i figured out the problem I only smelled the smell when those fans actually were engaged for a little while. they were only try to cool the amp down, yet still creating a burning smell.

if it is a high quality amp, it should have a pretty good protection mode, a know exactly when to go into protection mode. I have a Boston Acoustics GT-24 amp and had the same problem at high volume levels for extended periods of time. i read, and reread the manual, took a voltmeter to the amp, to make sure the gain was right. come to find out the gain was set right.
So i went on to try to figure out the problem. come to find out there are two small fans above the heatsink of the amp. i took a closer look, tested it out.

HAh i figured out the problem I only smelled the smell when those fans actually were engaged for a little while. they were only try to cool the amp down, yet still creating a burning smell.
yea that was acctually one of my first thoughts is that the amp was overheating but when i went back and smelled the port it was deffinetly comming out of the port

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.