Classic Car & Hot Rod design and installs

Participant count
  • Participant list

Smittie

NorCal
I'm the new guy. I am looking for input, guidance and suggestions.

I am an old car, classic car, hot rod builder (hobby builder). My current project is a 1963 Chevy C10 pick-up. I am working on the system design and planning the installation. I hoping to get some experienced input.

I have the original AM radio for the truck which I am having completely serviced. I will be putting it back in the truck. I want to run a headless bluetooth system. I plan to connect the AM radio into the system but the system will be designed to make a bluetooth connected smartphone or tablet sound as good as possible. The cab of the truck is relatively small, all metal with very little cloth or other dampening material. The floor, firewall and back wall have been shot with Second Skin Spectrum (at this point, don't really care if that's not the best choice, it's on). I want the system to be as out of sight as possible. The system will only have front, no rear components; the truck cab just isn't deep enough to make a difference.

The speakers are going to be mounted on the back wall of the truck. The speakers will be mounted into holes in a metal wall. The maximum mount hole size is 4 1/2 inches, maximum depth 2 3/4 inches. At this point I have focused primarily on bluetooth enabled amplifiers from JBL and Infinity (though they seem to be the same amp). I want to have enough power to overcome the noise of the truck (all metal body, straight pipes off a straight 6 engine) driving down the highway with the windows open.

My listening is preferences run a pretty wide range, from country to techno (think Chill channels) to Jazz to classical. While I am not a fan of bass that makes your eyes water, I do want to hear the full range of instruments and voices. The dub-step in Lindsey Stirling's music is awesome. The sub-woofer is going to need to be a shallow mount in order to fit under the seat.

I have been looking at component speaker systems but I've also wondered about assembling my own component speakers using a 4", a 2" and a 1". I notice that JBL/Infinity do not sell crossovers as separate items anymore.

What system should I be putting in this truck?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.