Circuit Breakers

Participant count
  • Participant list
Are there any cons to using the circuit breakers in place of fuses? I know they are a bit spendy but it seems like it could be worth it in the long run.
Just curious as how they'd be worth it? You shouldn't be blowing fuses repeatedly anyways, because if you are you've got problems. Just curious as to how you're looking at it.

I'm not blowin fuses, I just upgraded amps so I've got to get different fuses and fuse holders anyway bc I can't find 150a Maxi fuses so I am either gonna order anl fuses and holders or just get the circuit breakers. Just curious as to why I don't see more people runnin circuit breakers

From bcae:

Reliability:In my opinion and from my experience, circuit breakers are less reliable than fuses (especially when the breaker is mounted in the harsh environment under the hood). Quality fuses like ANL and Maxi fuses have a solid element (no solder connections) and will almost never have an intermittent or poor electrical connection. A circuit breaker will eventually have higher contact resistance than when it was new. This is especially true if the breaker has been tripped (by overcurrent) more than a few times. If you're going to compete and can't take a chance of having a problem like a bad connection in the power line, you should use a good quality fuse. Now I know that people have had fuses blow in competition but it was because the fuse was not properly rated, not because the fuse was defective. For those who have had trouble with glass fuses, read the fuses page of this site.
http://www.bcae1.com/cirbrakr.htm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

lowriderram_95

10+ year member
VW Surgeon
lowriderram_95
Little Rock, AR
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date