Chrome removal

Mitch86
5,000+ posts

±
Tennessee
Recently bought a car and it has chrome 18's on it...the chrome plating is starting to peel in places. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to remove the chrome plating completely? I know I can probably get it done at a plating shop etc...but wanted to see if anyone knew any DIY methods so I could save a little money. Want to remove the chrome completely and get them powder coated or painted...

Just take them to the powder coating shop, as is. 99% of the time the powder coat place sandblasts before powder coating. Have them blast the chrome off, then coat the wheel. For 18's, don't pay more than $50-$70 a wheel.

Don't sand blast.......soda blast. Sand leaves pitts that are visible.
Yeah, I've researched sandblasting and keep seeing "soda blasting" is the way to go with wheels... But still havent got a clear answer as to what that is?

I was looking for DIY removal for the chrome since the only powder coater in town will probably already rape me on cost...figured I'd save as much as possible to make it worth even attempting to save these rims. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

It is basically the exact same as sand blasting, but you use baking soda. It is a finer "grain". Or you can used crushed walnuts.
Hm, I thought maybe it meant using baking soda, but just didnt seem like baking soda would be very abrasive. Wonder if I could buy a cheap sandblaster and some baking soda and get them clean? Maybe even paint them myself..

DIY, I'd say a grinder since it's flaky. Smooth it in with finer grits. Check with the chrome/powder shop first as those guys may not WANT you to touch them.
Probably not...since they wanna rape me double time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif But yeah, I understand what ya mean.... I'll call em and ask em

Have you tried hand sanding them yet (flaking areas)? Chrome is a great base to paint, you don't even have to sand it.
Nah havent messed with them at all yet. Looking for some stocks to throw on it at the moment. Girlfriend doesnt want the 18's on it and she will be driving the car more than me. I'll throw the rims on my truck if they will fit, if not I'll sell em if I can get away with restoring them cheap enough.

Have you tried hand sanding them yet (flaking areas)? Chrome is a great base to paint, you don't even have to sand it.
If the chrome is flaking/peeling... How in the hell would it be a good base for ANYTHING?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.