Choice on headphone amplifier/DAC

Participant count
  • Participant list

Only The Best
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
texas
I have researched some headphone amplifiers as well as the DAC and the combined and I'm not sure i quite understand it. First off I am looking to buy a quality amplifier / DAC for my V-moda crossfade m-100's 32ohm. Hoping to spend under $150 at absolute max... really wanting it to be under $100.

First question... what is the point of having a DAC by itself and why not just get the amp+DAC?

Second... i researched a little bit and found that a DAC is basically the EQ where u can designate your treble and bass... but does it actually go down into you choosing what frequencies you can acquire?

thank you for your help in advance

Assuming your using a DAC from your PC via USB, AES, XLR, RCA, etc. It allows you to bypass the built in DAC on your integrated sound card which is often inferior. If you have a dedicated sound card like an Asus Xonar then the need for a DAC is pretty much out the window.

The DAC is not the EQ. It simply processes the audio. The EQ is either done at the amp or in the music software your using before the DAC/Amp.

I would strongly suggest looking at the Schiit Modi and Vali or Modi and Magni. The Modi is a DAC and the Magni is an amp and so is the Vali. The Vali is a tube amp. Each piece runs about $100, but they make amazing things.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Another great amp/DAC is the Aune T1. The US doesnt have a distributor so you would have to check out the Canadian Distributors eBay store: Moen Effects, Biyang Effects items in earthcitysoundco store on eBay!

My last suggestion is to look into the Fiio E7/E9 combo. This Amp/DAC combo would also allow you to take the portable amp out of the dock and take it with you.

In order of preference for quality:

1.Aune T1

2.Schiit

3.Fiio E7/E9

anyone have any extra input? -Just trying to get more than one opinion //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I would echo the Schiit as a solid choice. The Modi has some SERIOUS balls for the price as a DAC, but is a standalone DAC and would need the Magni run with it for an all-in-one piece, pushing your budget closer to $200. Still for what you get, I doubt you'll have reason to complain.

Otherwise take a look at Fiio for the "cheap" alternatives. The E17 comes in within budget and packs some impressive features:

FiiO

Amazon.com: Fiio E17 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier: Electronics

If it were me, though, I would pay the extra and get dedicated units for each purpose and go with Schiit. The guys have shop set up not too far from here, know their stuff well, and DO NOT skimp out on component selection

anyone have any extra input? -Just trying to get more than one opinion //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Not many people on this forum into HeadFi gear like myself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.