Cheated !!!

receupt

I have zero knowledge when it comes to car audio. About 6 years back I paid over $1700, to have a system installed solely on the installers’ recommendation. I ended up with a used $120 amp, 4 cheap 10’ concept speakers a Sony extreme explode HU and a custom made basic box. Inside the car, the sound was pretty decent if played half way up but once pass the halfway mark it was crappy and a few feet away from the car you really couldn’t hear it or feel the bass. I would like help in piecing together a nice quality sounding system with a nice deep bass.

About two year back I tried to educated myself on car audio but still find myself dumbfounded. I never listened to them in person but fell in love with Re 15’ XXX or MTS for bass, an infinity Kappa perfect for highs and mids I guess and the Brutus hifonic amps or the Orion 2500 amp.

No set budget as this will be an un-time project but with listed items above you kind of see my spending range (will most likely buy everything from the classified forum on this site). I just don’t want to get cheated, I’m a young black high school teacher that is building this project because it’s a hobby but more importantly to show my students that you don’t have to sell dope to get a nice tricked out car. The car will most likely be a 2002 ford tarus wagon…. the school bus, education pays off lol.

Moved to the correct section for the OP.

As for being taken advantage of, that happens more often then you think. Many people will represent their product or their knowledge to gain your trust/business and if they have fooled a few then they have a larger leg to stand on. Many small dealers used that very situation to their advantage.

With that said, your best bet is to set a budget for everything or for each area of the build. This will help you and us at the same time. Also get a really good idea of the sound you are after as that will likely alter what many members here suggest. Just remember that much of what you may read on forums is no better then what happened to you before as many are not 100% sure of what they speak of. So take what replies you get and do some basic research to see what others have had to say about various options that are offered to you.

To everyone else, stop post dumping as there is no need for that. We have the dome if you would simply like to increase your post count.

Moved to the correct section for the OP.

As for being taken advantage of, that happens more often then you think. Many people will represent their product or their knowledge to gain your trust/business and if they have fooled a few then they have a larger leg to stand on. Many small dealers used that very situation to their advantage.

With that said, your best bet is to set a budget for everything or for each area of the build. This will help you and us at the same time. Also get a really good idea of the sound you are after as that will likely alter what many members here suggest. Just remember that much of what you may read on forums is no better then what happened to you before as many are not 100% sure of what they speak of. So take what replies you get and do some basic research to see what others have had to say about various options that are offered to you.

To everyone else, stop post dumping as there is no need for that. We have the dome if you would simply like to increase your post count.
Listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about. See his post count?

Listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about. See his post count?
I have been here since 2004 have less posts then most do that have been here under a year. Your logic is flawed to say the least. As I said, though, keep the post dumping out of the tech section and classifieds.

Also, simply because a member has been on this forum for a while and/or have a high post count does not actually mean they have a higher knowledge base then another member who has been here two days.

Since you do not have a time table set, I would lurk the site for a while. You can find good deals on used equipment, just beware of who you are dealing with.

I have been here since 2004 have less posts then most do that have been here under a year. Your logic is flawed to say the least. As I said, though, keep the post dumping out of the tech section and classifieds.
Also, simply because a member has been on this forum for a while and/or have a high post count does not actually mean they have a higher knowledge base then another member who has been here two days.
I was giving you a compliment, not post dumping! I don't do that. Being here since 04', having a high post count, and the fact you are a moderator should be a good indicater that you know what you are talking about. I do agree that only "post count" is not the best measure of knowledge I should have worded it differently.

Thanks, my brother had his project completed by the same installer however he purchased everything and just paid for installation. He had four 15’ Kicker CVC comp purchased brand new at $300 per sub, not sure of the amp(s) but they where MMatts and not sure of what he had for mids or highs. The bass was great but I didn’t like the sound quality. I’m looking to max out at about $100 per sub for 6 10’s, or 4 12’s at about $140 each, or 2 15’s at $325 maybe a little more per sub (was thinking about one solo x 18 but didn’t like the sound quality of that also). Amp(s) about $800-$1000 could go a little higher, about $200 on the mids and highs and about $300 on the HU. Not sure of about wiring, box etc. As for the set up I would like a nice crystal clear sound with deep bass felt not over powering the music and I’m not sure where OP is located. Total build no more than $3700 but I’m always willing to save a few bucks.

I was giving you a compliment, not post dumping! I don't do that. Being here since 04', having a high post count, and the fact you are a moderator should be a good indicater that you know what you are talking about. I do agree that only "post count" is not the best measure of knowledge I should have worded it differently.
Ah, my apologies. I have been getting irked by the amount of post dumping as of late. Apparently the lenient idea is not working. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Ah, my apologies. I have been getting irked by the amount of post dumping as of late. Apparently the lenient idea is not working. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
No worries, after 3(dumps) in a row, I can see how my post could look sarcastic. lol

Thanks, my brother had his project completed by the same installer however he purchased everything and just paid for installation. He had four 15’ Kicker CVC comp purchased brand new at $300 per sub, not sure of the amp(s) but they where MMatts and not sure of what he had for mids or highs. The bass was great but I didn’t like the sound quality. I’m looking to max out at about $100 per sub for 6 10’s, or 4 12’s at about $140 each, or 2 15’s at $325 maybe a little more per sub (was thinking about one solo x 18 but didn’t like the sound quality of that also). Amp(s) about $800-$1000 could go a little higher, about $200 on the mids and highs and about $300 on the HU. Not sure of about wiring, box etc. As for the set up I would like a nice crystal clear sound with deep bass felt not over powering the music and I’m not sure where OP is located. Total build no more than $3700 but I’m always willing to save a few bucks.
6 10's huh. Just something you have been wanting to do for a while?

I agree with $3700 you can find a very nice setup. If you want to try a 6 10" setup on a budget I have several AQ 2.0 10's sitting around I could hook you up with. Much cheaper then $100/ea too.

Looking around here for used prices or looking at what many members suggest for new will get you a long way for sure.

For $3700 you can build a very, very nice system. If you shop around and are willing to buy used or b stock you can cut that $3700 in half.
Where do you see the OP saying $3700?

He doesn't.

OP, stay away and ignore any of your local car audio shops.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

receupt

receupt
Palmetto, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
04murdalanche