Change my Battery and now have LOUD Alt. Whine.

bobo244
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Basically what the title says. I changed my main battery under the hood and now I have I terrible alt noise. I have the big 3 done and a second batt in the back.

I replaced the battery and turned the car on and my speakers and subs made extremely loud terrible death noises so I turned off the radio turned around and saw smoke coming out of my sub amp. Wasn't very happy. I unplugged the remote wire for the sub amp and the 2 rear RCA's to the 4 ch. And now the front two speakers play music but have terribly loud alt whine.

Looked under the hood and everything seems fine. From the (+) side on the batter there is a wire going to the (+) post of the alt, another going back to the second battery, and the third is the stock GM wire that feeds the car. From the (-) neg post there is a wire straight to the ground, a wire to the alt's grounding post, and the GM negative wire. (200A HO alt)

Before I changed the battery I had an isolator inline with the wire back to the back, and took it out when I changed the battery because I never used it, that is the ONLY thing that is different. Didn't touch anything NOT under the hood.

It looks like the sub amp is blown, when I hook it up it the red LED comes on and it doesn't power up.

So I want to fix the 4 ch so I have something to listen to then work on the sum amp.

ANY IDEAS???

you shorted out your RCA? a Pioneer specialty which is the reason I hate Pioneer........

You should have disconnected both batts before doin the swap,thats all I can think of

I am betting you still had the secondary bat hooked up while you did your swap

and it sent a spike though your system

The RCA's didn't short out because it still works, music still plays but there is a loud alt whine.

I replaced the batt under the hood with a standard battery, the batt in the back is an Optima.

I disconnected the positive lead of the battery in the back when I changed them.

I also tried to reconnect the terminals on the negative side of the batt and they look snug.

Any other thoughts of what could introduce such a loud alt whine????

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.