Cerwin Vega vs. Sound Qubed?

Hey guys, I have a small question. For about 7 months I've been running two Cerwin Vega V122D's on a Hifonics ZRX 1000.1D @ 2ohms. Keep in mind this is my first system. They're in a box with 1.50@45hz which is kinda high, but then again the box is made to spec for these subs. I listen to a lot of rap, and I really want to get into the Decaf scene. I like the lows, I can hit about 33hz with my current setup and it sounds pretty good, but you always want better. Now, I'm thinking about selling my Vega's for two Sound Qubed HDS312 in a slightly bigger box tuned lower. I plan on keeping the same amp. Now, I looked at the spec sheet and the meanings of each item. Turns out that my Vega subs are actually better in MOST of the spec sheet, but they costed a lot less. Don't get me wrong, these are the best budget subs I have ever heard. I've heard a lot of systems, just never owned one, and I really like the Vega's.

My question is, should I keep my Cerwin Vega subs and make a lower tuned box, or get sell them for two Sound Qubed HDS312s in a lower box. I plan on keeping my amp for either choice.

citation needed
Your question was simple: should I stick with Cerwin Vega or go with SoundQubed. The short answer and my honest opinion is SoundQubed. My opinion is biased, however. I'm a huge SoundQubed fan boy. I've owned and worked with all of their lines and sizes except the HDC415 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif, all of their amps, mids, tweets, deadener, etc.

They are amazing subs for killer prices. Paired with a correct enclosure and solid power, an HDS312 will outperform your Cerwin Vega - especially with what you're trying to achieve. (lows with more authority)

OP, just build a bigger box with more port area and tune it lower. Not worth swapping up to something slightly better

Your question was simple: should I stick with Cerwin Vega or go with SoundQubed. The short answer and my honest opinion is SoundQubed. My opinion is biased, however. I'm a huge SoundQubed fan boy. I've owned and worked with all of their lines and sizes except the HDC415 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif, all of their amps, mids, tweets, deadener, etc.
They are amazing subs for killer prices. Paired with a correct enclosure and solid power, an HDS312 will outperform your Cerwin Vega - especially with what you're trying to achieve. (lows with more authority)
What other brands have you worked with? Heard anything else decent?

So you've tried every soundqubed sub except the 15 inch HDC4?

You do sound like a typical Soundqubed fanboy

All I can say is I have heard and demoed many a soundqubed install and if you think they are the best of anything you haven't sampled a real company. They maybe the best bNgfor your buck. But they are only slightly better then mainstream garbage. I'm with the others build a better box and tune way lower.

Hey guys, I have a small question. For about 7 months I've been running two Cerwin Vega V122D's on a Hifonics ZRX 1000.1D @ 2ohms. Keep in mind this is my first system. They're in a box with 1.50@45hz which is kinda high, but then again the box is made to spec for these subs.
You have a fantastic pair of subwoofers for the money. That box spec is for 1 subwoofer, and the port dimensions in the manual will result in a tuning frequency of 35.6 Hz. If you gave each sub 2 cubes and a vent tuned to 32-33 Hz that would probably blow you away at the difference. This is going to result in a pretty big box for 2 12s.

OP, just build a bigger box with more port area and tune it lower. Not worth swapping up to something slightly better

What other brands have you worked with? Heard anything else decent?

So you've tried every soundqubed sub except the 15 inch HDC4?

You do sound like a typical Soundqubed fanboy
I'll gladly answer you're questions. I've owned and worked with a lot of different brands - Fi (owned), CT Sounds (worked with), Sundown (owned), Rockford (owned), Lanzar (worked with older opti stuff), RE (worked with), American Bass (worked with), etc. There are a lot of great options out there, but those get narrowed depending on what your end goal is and of course your budget. I've hear a lot of different setups. Many of them sound amazing. One of my closest buddies owns #5 and #6 of the Team Sundowns 12" spider version. He was #1 and #2 until Rutherford obviously got #1 -#4. I've heard a decent amount of setups and configurations.

Regarding your second question, yes - I have either owned or worked with every line and size of SoundQubed subwoofers except the HDC415.

I apologize for upsetting you with my opinion. If you read my comment, I state that I am sharing my honest opinion regarding the thread's initial question. I openly admit my opinion is biased, but that still rubbed you the wrong way. I also apologize for saying that I've worked with multiple SoundQubed subs - trying to help the threadstarter by letting him know that I have experience with the particular driver and company he is asking about instead of being some schmuck with no experience.

Does my honesty anger you? Would you not want an experienced and honest person helping you out if you started a thread and said this is my first system? Why did I not suggest the other subs you think I have no experience with? Because that's not what was asked in the thread. Why am I a fan boy? Because SoundQubed makes a good product at a good price. Their customer service has been excellent to me and they don't forget who keeps them in business. Does that make you mad?

What other questions do you have for me? I'm happy to help where I can.

All I can say is I have heard and demoed many a soundqubed install and if you think they are the best of anything you haven't sampled a real company. They maybe the best bNgfor your buck. But they are only slightly better then mainstream garbage. I'm with the others build a better box and tune way lower.
So the Black Nasty and Joe Price's World Record S10 mean nothing? Not a real company? Hmmm...

Don't remember calling them the "best of anything"

I'll gladly answer you're questions. I've owned and worked with a lot of different brands - Fi (owned), CT Sounds (worked with), Sundown (owned), Rockford (owned), Lanzar (worked with older opti stuff), RE (worked with), American Bass (worked with), etc. There are a lot of great options out there, but those get narrowed depending on what your end goal is and of course your budget. I've hear a lot of different setups. Many of them sound amazing. One of my closest buddies owns #5 and #6 of the Team Sundowns 12" spider version. He was #1 and #2 until Rutherford obviously got #1 -#4. I've heard a decent amount of setups and configurations.
Regarding your second question, yes - I have either owned or worked with every line and size of SoundQubed subwoofers except the HDC415.

I apologize for upsetting you with my opinion. If you read my comment, I state that I am sharing my honest opinion regarding the thread's initial question. I openly admit my opinion is biased, but that still rubbed you the wrong way. I also apologize for saying that I've worked with multiple SoundQubed subs - trying to help the threadstarter by letting him know that I have experience with the particular driver and company he is asking about instead of being some schmuck with no experience.

Does my honesty anger you? Would you not want an experienced and honest person helping you out if you started a thread and said this is my first system? Why did I not suggest the other subs you think I have no experience with? Because that's not what was asked in the thread. Why am I a fan boy? Because SoundQubed makes a good product at a good price. Their customer service has been excellent to me and they don't forget who keeps them in business. Does that make you mad?

What other questions do you have for me? I'm happy to help where I can.
I'm not mad, just annoyed by Soundqubed fanboys.

They are not the best thing.

Budget equipment is budget equipment.

The OP is looking for a budget setup. I get that. I just don't think those Soundqubed subs would be a real upgrade over what he currently has, especially on low power.

So the Black Nasty and Joe Price's World Record S10 mean nothing? Not a real company? Hmmm...Don't remember calling them the "best of anything"
Didn't he set that world record at like 80hz or something??

Took an ungodly amount of 3500's too

I'm not mad, just annoyed by Soundqubed fanboys.
They are not the best thing.

Budget equipment is budget equipment.

The OP is looking for a budget setup. I get that. I just don't think those Soundqubed subs would be a real upgrade over what he currently has, especially on low power.
So why don't you just say "I just don't think those Soundqubed subs would be a real upgrade over what you currently have, especially on low power" instead of typing something childish towards a person's preference of car audio equipment?

Didn't he set that world record at like 80hz or something??
Took an ungodly amount of 3500's too
Yes, but setting any record usually involves using an ungodly amount of something.

Bros, everyone needs to relax. I know SoundQubed subs aren't "the best". I know when and when not to recommend them. I work with other subs because SQ subs don't make sense in many applications. But on that subject, what really is "the best subwoofer"?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.