CDT Speakers distorting:(

Participant count
  • Participant list

jonB
10+ year member

I am running an avionixx 440.4 amp to my cdt cl61a comps in my rsx-s. I have the gain set CLOSE to 0 on this amp otherwise these speakers begin to distort badly. The head unit is an alpine 9802 and has 3 sets of 4 volt preouts.

THe cdt xovers are set at 3db gain however at 0db there is still much distortion produced. I set my system by cranking the alpine head unit volume to max and moved the amps gain starting from 0 till the speakers began to distort then roll back slightly. Also while doing this the deck's settings are set to flat (example: bass and treble set to 0 and xover settings at 80 hz).

I tried messing with the cens settings on this amp to balance in the rca input signal but the difference is minimal.

Anyone else using these speakers and experiencing the same thing ( having to run gain very low)? The speakers are rated to something like 80wrms and I suspect I am not running hear that at the current gain level. Once i go past say volume 25 on the deck, the speakers begin to breakup slightly and the treble from the tweeters goes flat (protection circuitry is kicking in).

Is this the workings of a shitty signal coming from my amp or do these speakers really operate cleanly only at very low gain?

What I can tell you is that mine begin to hurt your ears before you can start to hear distortion. I'm running them off an Eclipse 130x2 amp. What is distorting? Each bass hit? Maybe cross them over a bit higher. Mine are at 100hz, but then again I have a sub in my center console so... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

where is your gain at?
Pretty low, but thats all dependent on your preout voltage. I'm running mine through an 8 volt line driver so thats why. The gain setting has nothing to do with how your speakers operate, they couldnt care less where the gain is at, they just eat the power your amp sends them. 80 watts is 80 watts to them nomatter if your gain is cranked or minimal. How loud does it get before distorting? How much power does that amp produce?

If your tweeter protection circuit is being triggered, that means the speaker is getting a distorted signal. Dosnt' mean its too much power, just that the signal is distorted. If you want to listen to your speakers loud, get a bigger quality amp.

I am running an avionixx 440.4 amp to my cdt cl61a comps in my rsx-s. I have the gain set CLOSE to 0 on this amp otherwise these speakers begin to distort badly. The head unit is an alpine 9802 and has 3 sets of 4 volt preouts.
THe cdt xovers are set at 3db gain however at 0db there is still much distortion produced. I set my system by cranking the alpine head unit volume to max and moved the amps gain starting from 0 till the speakers began to distort then roll back slightly. Also while doing this the deck's settings are set to flat (example: bass and treble set to 0 and xover settings at 80 hz).

I tried messing with the cens settings on this amp to balance in the rca input signal but the difference is minimal.

Anyone else using these speakers and experiencing the same thing ( having to run gain very low)? The speakers are rated to something like 80wrms and I suspect I am not running hear that at the current gain level. Once i go past say volume 25 on the deck, the speakers begin to breakup slightly and the treble from the tweeters goes flat (protection circuitry is kicking in).

Is this the workings of a shitty signal coming from my amp or do these speakers really operate cleanly only at very low gain?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.