CDT EF-61- crossover help/advice needed

Participant count
  • Participant list

D-C
10+ year member

Colorado
Hi. I have a set of CDT EF-61 components powered by an amp without a variable crossover. So, for the front stage I rely on the HU listed below. The components have a frequency range of 70 on up. I realize that the CDT crossovers high-pass the tweeters, but I was wondering if they also high-pass the woofers.

The reason I ask is that the settings on the HU HPF are not variable- you get 50/80/120. In a best case scenario, I would set a variable HPF at 70. But I can only do 50 or 80 for the components, and I feel that if I set it at 50 I might blow something up, and at 80 I'm not getting as much bass as I want out of the components.

Will I be safe setitng the HU HPF at 50? Or do I need to play it safe and set it to 80- and lose out on the bass until I get better control of the xover points?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

To answer the first question no the xovers don't high pass the mids. But you won't have any problems crossing them @ 50hz. The bottom end of the speaker's freq. response is 60hz so you won't hurt them (excess power and clipping excluded). Just out of curiousity why are you crossing the sub at such a low point?

Thanks for the info on not harming the components, that's what I was hoping to hear...

As far as crossing the sub low, I was trying to have as little perceptible change from front to sub as possible- in other words trying to have the front stage sound like it wasn't really getting backed u pby a sub. I only have one sub in a sealed enclosure; it's there to round out the music not bump.

Having said that, the system didn't sound so bad when I low passed it at 80 either. I'm wondering if I should use the sub amps variable crossover to LPF it at 60 or so... I assume from your question it should be set higher?

you shouldn't have any problems with the crossover points unless you tend to use alot of bass boost on the HU but from the sounds of it you don't. As for blending the sub in with the front you really should just watch the gain. Having the component woofers play in the 20-80hz range can be hard if the doors aren't deadened well for it. I'd suggest crossing the sub at 80hz and the woofers at 80hz also. Just watch the gain on the sub and play around with it. I have a 15in Stereo Integrity Mag and I have it very well blended in with my frontstage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.