Carputer 101

can somone explain newer parts to build a carputer? im looking to build one to run in my vehicle with a 10" or larger touch screen. i basically need it to be able to run my amps and such with just good tuning abilities.

must be able to play cd's and hook up an external hd i have a 1t hd and also needs to have a wireless card in it to hook into my home network. i might also put windows xp on it for a video player and such thats about it i dont really need to be able to hook up an ipod or have navigation.

or can someone lead me to a website where i can read what im looking for maybe a site to order parts from

can somone explain newer parts to build a carputer? im looking to build one to run in my vehicle with a 10" or larger touch screen. i basically need it to be able to run my amps and such with just good tuning abilities.must be able to play cd's and hook up an external hd i have a 1t hd and also needs to have a wireless card in it to hook into my home network. i might also put windows xp on it for a video player and such thats about it i dont really need to be able to hook up an ipod or have navigation.

or can someone lead me to a website where i can read what im looking for maybe a site to order parts from
For all the reading you will want and more, http://www.mp3car.com

for buying parts, http://www.newegg.com

Takes a LOT of research to finally get everything you need and working in order. For the most part not much different than building any old computer, just use a different power supply and install it differently. Software is a whole nother battle though. Check out the road runner front end software, its what I use and works great.

You will need Windowx Xp, Vista or whatever or Linux or some sort of operating system installed onto the computer for it to do anything within reason of course.

Most DC-DC computer power supplies and such will have a turn on lead that you can use to hook up the amps too the same as you would a HU

I think I want to get an old desk top, take it apart, mount the parts in my dash, and get a lcd screen and make it adjustable to reach the passenger seat and about half way to the drivers seat.

Use it to watch movies and store music.

Could I just plug a wire from my computer headphone jack to my headunit's aux-in jack? And play music on windows media player?

or is that a shitty idea?

I agree. I'll start one. Go HERE to get involved. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
LOL 2 things glad I have firefox and a mac. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

can somone explain newer parts to build a carputer? im looking to build one to run in my vehicle with a 10" or larger touch screen. i basically need it to be able to run my amps and such with just good tuning abilities.must be able to play cd's and hook up an external hd i have a 1t hd and also needs to have a wireless card in it to hook into my home network. i might also put windows xp on it for a video player and such thats about it i dont really need to be able to hook up an ipod or have navigation.

As far as I knwo they only come with windows XP right now. Most of the other stuff most of them have the wireless might have to add a usb thumb drive for that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...