Carputer 101

Defiler

10+ year member
Nov 24, 2003
Tampa, FL.
why not just put a laptop in the back somewhere...
You resurrect a thread like this with a comment like that? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/slap.gif.87520e8ca8e90076ac30e777c0de5331.gif

Defiler

10+ year member
Nov 24, 2003
Tampa, FL.
Looking to do my own carputer in my 2011 Subaru Legacy any one done this before. Any Tips would be great.
Search on mp3car.com. There are a lot of people who have done Subaru installs. I know they make custom bezels for screen installs, etc. Check it out.

youdoofus

Skibidi
Dec 13, 2014
planet earth
its weird to me that the last comment on this thread was a year and a half ago, esp considering the advent of the advancements of raspberry pis and so forth. Touch screen tft's have halved in price and kept reliability and this subject is all but dead (or so it seems)

micallen

Jun 14, 2018
SC
its weird to me that the last comment on this thread was a year and a half ago, esp considering the advent of the advancements of raspberry pis and so forth. Touch screen tft's have halved in price and kept reliability and this subject is all but dead (or so it seems)
I guess 7" touchscreen displays with many of the same features as a carputer, makes them obsolete to a point.

youdoofus

Skibidi
Dec 13, 2014
planet earth
I guess 7" touchscreen displays with many of the same features as a carputer, makes them obsolete to a point.
but the processors in the vast majority of the double din units are about as capable as a 2004 cell phone and equally as slow

SilverSquared

Fat guy on the GROUND.
10+ year member
Dec 12, 2005
Southeast Louisiana
Top: Android HU. 4gb RAM, 64gb storage. 10.1"
Use DUB Music Player when not using CarPC. Also use for Torque to monitor engine. May become full time gauge panel.
Lower: 10.1" screen for CarPC in Center Console. Using an NUC6CAY with 8gb ram and 980gb 2.5" HDD. Screen has inputs
out the wazoo. HDMI, VGA, DVI, BNC, RCA. From PC I am using an HDMI, as it provided the best resolution, by a long shot.
Using WinAMP for my music player. Have been since 2004. Audio is via BT to Android HU. Can play music while connected
to Torque via ELM327 via BT. No issues. I use GlowForge visual on top when using CarPC for music. Shown in pic. Looks like
graphic eq, but there are maybe 8 visualizations in total. This is an overlay, it can be used on ALL audio sources.

The negative....
The HU is a single din. DOES NOT MOUNT WITH CAGE. Uses 2 ghetto L-brackets. Its pretty solid, but after screen is attached,
cannot get it much more than about 1.5" from dash. So you can SEE the ghetto behind it. I cut foam insulation to fit the top,
and the sides. Then I took an all black neck gaiter and pulled it over the screen. It keeps everything back there tight. The lower
screen is hard mounted, 4 or 6 screws, if I pull on it, the trim panel will come out. Not bad for $40 from Wish. LOL.

At first, it sounded great, has now developed intermittent engine noise. All grounds and cables are as they need to be. The internal
amp powering my pillar mount mids & highs are CRYSTAL clear and LOUD AF! But the mids...on my amp...they get whiney.

The internal crossover is trash. I use an external PX-1 Pro Connect by Expert Electronics same Brazilian build as Stetsom and others.
This can be set by a BT App. And let me tell you....GET ONE. You can do HPF, LPF, BP, and all types of crossovers, and can change
input gain as well as output. Its one of the better signal processors I've ever used.

Attachments

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds