Car Wont Start...

PhatTonyDeMarco
5,000+ posts

C0CK,its whats for dinner
I got home a minute ago from Blockbuster and when I pulled in I noticed that the 'ANTI LOCK BRAKE' light was lit on my dash. This has happened once before, not sure why, but in the manual it just says turn the car off and then back on. So once again, I did this. This time the car wont turn over... I hear a repetitive clicking noise when I turn the ignition, I am thinking its the starter?

Any help is appreciated....

Float voltage would be without the engine on, correct? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

If so, then I am going to check now... Just check it from the battery terminals with a DMM?

the alternator may have died. the repetitive clicking is the relay or solenoid. your battery is probably dead. were the lights dim. if so this is probably the problem.

Hit your starter with a hammer it prolly has a deadspot - sometimes they can fix it sometimes they cant, check with your automotive dealer

^^^^^^^^^^It made the same noise in my car, except i didnt have a deadspot the whole thing was dead and i had to replace it. Depending on the car it could be really easy to replace or super hard....tough

Float voltage would be without the engine on, correct? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
If so, then I am going to check now... Just check it from the battery terminals with a DMM?
n00b.

If you're getting significantly under 12V, there's your problem.

n00b.
If you're getting significantly under 12V, there's your problem.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I have voltage at the batt reading 7.34- 7.33 - 7.32 ... The lights were dimming while I tried to start it, and they were almost off when I was done checking the voltage.

I just put this new alt in from Nathan.... Maybe hes getting too old? Should I get a refund and go with somewhere else? I liked the $320 price tag...

id say put the cables on the car, give it a jump and test the output voltage from the alt again. if it reads right your battery is smoked.

Could this just have been due to the face that its ~8 years old and a stock battery? Could it possibly not be able to handle the increased output of the altenator?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.